open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Inbox/Notifications
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2008-01-30 3:40 PM (#1300)
Subject: Inbox/Notifications

Uber User

I've got a suggestion. Or a request, or something. Often, when I make a comment in the forums, I'm never notified if someone has responded, or added a comment of their own. Is there a way to watch a thread, and get notifications in our WWout End inbox? The Inboxes are being underutilized as is, and as the site gets bigger, it'll be harder to notice that someone added something to a conversation several posts back, if you follow me.

Anyhoo, I'm not looking to increase anyone's workload, but I thought I'd bring it up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-30 4:26 PM (#1301 - in reply to #1300)
Subject: Re: Inbox/Notifications

Admin

deven,
that's a great idea. i'll look into it tonight and see what can be done. our forum is an off the shelf product so i can't promise anything. that sounds like pretty basic functionality tho. perhaps there's a setting or something i need to set. faliing that i can see what whargoul can do to fix.

- dave
Deven Science
Posted 2008-01-30 4:57 PM (#1303 - in reply to #1301)

Uber User

Great. I know that with blogger, you can check to subscribe to the thread, and be notified of any additional comments. Maybe this setup have some setting similar that can be flipped on.
Administrator
Posted 2008-02-03 9:55 PM (#1306 - in reply to #1303)

Admin

deven,
i've looked into the notification issue and here's what i found:

- the software we use has a notification feature but it sends an email to the outside email account you specify in your profile not to the private message box. to set this click "Control Panel" at the far right of the sub menu then look for "Receive e-mail notifications by default?" and set to yes. this will send you email updates whenever somebody responds in a thread you are part of.

- the above method is a bit out of whack right now. we moved to a new machine with new security settings and we need to update a couple bits of code so those emails will start going out again. it worked in the past but has not since we moved and we never really caught on about it. we're going to try and get that fixed soon. check your setting in the control panel and you'll get your alerts as soon as we've made the fix.

- right now you can see when people have responded to your threads by clicking the "Your active threads" link at the top. not as good as the email but you can see at a glance if anyone has responded to a thread you're in. you still have to log in to see that page but you'd have to do that to check your private messages too or to see what new threads have been started.

i'll let you know as soon as we fix the email bit. hopefully this week. we're getting crushed at work lately so we've been slow with getting out updates and new features.

speaking of new features, we'll have some updates coming soon that will allow you to organize your favorites lists into "top 10" lists and we're going to separate SF from F so you can maintain 2 different faves lists. you'll also be able to organize your reading list as well. some other cool stuff coming so stay tuned. when we get those out i'll post the details in a new thread.

- dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)