open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The report of my death was an exaggeration. - Mark Twain
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Missing books List
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

wweBrian
Posted 2018-03-16 11:49 AM (#16928)
Subject: Missing books List

Is there a way to generate a list of the books I do not own by award?
I love going into used book stores and searching for books. But my collection is in the hundreds.
It would be great if I could generate a list of books by award that I need for my collection.
Another great list would be the books I am missing by count of Award winners and or nominations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2018-03-16 2:31 PM (#16929 - in reply to #16928)
Subject: RE: Missing books List

Admin

wweBrian - 2018-03-16 11:49 AM Is there a way to generate a list of the books I do not own by award? I love going into used book stores and searching for books. But my collection is in the hundreds. It would be great if I could generate a list of books by award that I need for my collection. Another great list would be the books I am missing by count of Award winners and or nominations.

I've got good news and bad news for you, Brian.   The bad news is no, we don't have that functionality right now.  The good news is that we're working on that as part of a major site overhaul that's in the works right now.

For the new site we'll have filtering capability on all the award and list pages so you'll be able to filter out the books you've already read, or own, to reduce the list down to just what you need.  You hit the Hugo Award page, select "hide the books I've read (or own), select "award winners only," and hit go to get your short list of unread winners by year condensed together on one page.

Then you click "Brick 'n Mortar Mode" which gives you a printer friendly text only list sorted alpha by author last name then book title.  You can print it off to take to the bookstore (or just review on your mobile when your're there) and you can work your way down the shelves from A to Z to find what you need.  No jumping around from letter to letter.

You'll be able to save that list for future reference too so you won't have to regenerate it over and over. And you can do that for each award you want to read to completion.  Or, on the all award winners page you'll be able to filter out the awards you're not interested in to get down to just the awards you follow then hit Brick 'n Mortar Mode to get all the Hugo, Nebula, and Clarke award winners you're missing to complete those awards.

This is a feature that is near and dear to our hearts that we're very excited to be bringing to the site.  Of course now you want to know when you'll see this new feature .  It likely won't be part of the initial release of WWEnd 3.0 which is now a couple months away, fingers crossed, but it will definitely be one of the first new expanded features to follow.  Best case scenario is around mid June but no promises.

wweBrian
Posted 2018-03-19 7:53 AM (#16948 - in reply to #16928)
Subject: RE: Missing books List

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to seeing WWE-3.0

Pushing it a little farther would be a mobile version of the Lists.

I have so many Sci-fy books I forget what I have and what I don't have.
Like Cixin Liu's book "The 3 Body Problem".I really don't remember how I got 2 copies
Then yesterday I found a hardcover copy of it, so now I have 3.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)