open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein
- (Added by: Administrator)

Regarding the change in the most read list
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

mgkurilla
Posted 2019-08-14 7:54 PM (#21234)
Subject: Regarding the change in the most read list

Regular

I have to admit, I'm a little ambivalent about the recent change in the most read listing being bumped from 100 to 450. On the one hand, with the entry criteria at 100 reads, there were over 700 books and I was just shy of 50%. On the other hand, that list was a great source of books to put on my reading list. Now at 450, I'm nearly 90% complete and while that's satisfying, the list has lost the attraction as a source for future selections.

I'm wondering how other people feel as well as how the figure of '450' was chosen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2019-08-14 9:02 PM (#21235 - in reply to #21234)
Subject: RE: Regarding the change in the most read list

Admin

mgkurilla - 2019-08-14 7:54 PM I have to admit, I'm a little ambivalent about the recent change in the most read listing being bumped from 100 to 450. On the one hand, with the entry criteria at 100 reads, there were over 700 books and I was just shy of 50%. On the other hand, that list was a great source of books to put on my reading list. Now at 450, I'm nearly 90% complete and while that's satisfying, the list has lost the attraction as a source for future selections. I'm wondering how other people feel as well as how the figure of '450' was chosen.

We had originally set it at 100 reads and got a list of under 100 books to start with. Over time the list got bigger and we just lost track of it. The 700+ was just too cumbersome so 450 was chosen to give us a more manageable list of around 100 books. We'll have to adjust it again in the future when it climbs back up.

If there are enough folks who want a longer list we can move that number down to 350 reads or whatever number will give us a final list of around 200 books.

mgkurilla
Posted 2019-08-24 2:23 PM (#21250 - in reply to #21235)

Regular

Administrator - 2019-08-14 9:02 PM

We had originally set it at 100 reads and got a list of under 100 books to start with. Over time the list got bigger and we just lost track of it. The 700+ was just too cumbersome so 450 was chosen to give us a more manageable list of around 100 books. We'll have to adjust it again in the future when it climbs back up.

If there are enough folks who want a longer list we can move that number down to 350 reads or whatever number will give us a final list of around 200 books.

Perhaps 250 - 300 reads is a reasonable cut-off for most read. At the same time, it'd be convenient to be able to search by read totals. As I said earlier, I used the list to highlight popular books I had missed in the past.
NateT
Posted 2019-12-10 12:20 PM (#21534 - in reply to #21234)

So, even though the metric under discussion is how many reads a book has, the real issue is the length of the list - right? I personally want a longer list (although I agree that 700+ is a bit excessive) and like mgkurilla I have used the list in the past to round out my personal TBR list. As it stands, the list is useless to me now, because every book in it I have read or decided whether I will read. I think the list should be more like the top 250 - 300 books regardless of how many reads the last book in the list has.
mgkurilla
Posted 2019-12-10 9:15 PM (#21535 - in reply to #21234)
Subject: Re: Regarding the change in the most read list

Regular

If the list were to be a fixed number of entries (rather than a threshold read value), I'd prefer a few more, in the range of 400-500. On the other hand, if I could generate my own list of the top XXX number of reads, that would allow for adequate future selections to my reading list.
NateT
Posted 2019-12-12 8:55 AM (#21538 - in reply to #21535)
Subject: Re: Regarding the change in the most read list

mgkurilla - 2019-12-10 9:15 PM

On the other hand, if I could generate my own list of the top XXX number of reads, that would allow for adequate future selections to my reading list.

That would be the best of both worlds. We could see how our personal stats compare to a relatively static popularity list and we could create a popularity list of any desired length for comparison/TBR creation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)