open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Free online films can't all be 'Dr. Horrible,' but they can be horrible." - Jonathan McDonald
- (Added by: Administrator)

Fringe
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-10-17 2:42 PM (#1468)
Subject: Fringe

Uber User

This show is already five episodes in, and I'm starting to appreciate it more as it goes along. The basic idea is that every "weird science" idea can be explain by real science. So far we've had spontaneously melting flesh, mind-reading, electrical superpowers, talking to the dead, rapid aging, cyborg implants, and telepathy. No word yet if aliens will be visiting.

It feels like a smarter version of The X-Files, but time will tell if it keeps up the quality.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2008-10-17 3:40 PM (#1469 - in reply to #1468)
Subject: Re: Fringe

Admin

hmmmm. i see that Fringe is available on Hulu. i'll check it out this weekend.

- dave
Deven Science
Posted 2008-10-20 3:57 PM (#1472 - in reply to #1468)
Subject: RE: Fringe

Uber User

With so many other shows to focus on, I have decided that this one doesn't interest me enough to give it it's fair shot. My must watches this season are "Heroes" and "Pushing Daisies". If the show continues to improve, I might not be able to continue to ignore it. Then again, I still haven't seen any "Lost", so...
Administrator
Posted 2008-10-23 11:57 AM (#1475 - in reply to #1468)

Admin

well, i finally managed to watch the first episode of Fringe last night. overall, i thought it was pretty good, especially for a first episode.

it's got all the parts i expected: hot chick, likeable kind of geeky dude, mad scientist (who in this case is actually insane), hard nosed a-hole government agent, massive government cover up(s), lots of gruesome deaths etc. and the "world as you know it, is gone" intro scenario that brings the characters together.

lots of cliches but still enjoyable. the production values are really good so far. the skeletons are appropriately gooey and the sets are realistic etc. i'll keep watching for sure. i want to see how they handle the stuff jynnantonnyx has alluded to! Deven, you might give this one a shot.

- dave

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-10-23 5:12 PM (#1476 - in reply to #1475)

Uber User

Latest episode's moral: Don't trust alternative treatments!
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-11-20 9:53 AM (#1500 - in reply to #1468)

Uber User

This weeks episode:
* Walter visits his old asylum
* Music = Math
* Certain music has magical powers

All in all, a pretty good episode.
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2008-12-04 10:08 AM (#1516 - in reply to #1468)

Uber User

In this week's episode:

• Bank robbers make use of the empty space between atoms.
  • Walter builds a time machine.
  • Olivia remembers someone else's life.
  • Beware zee Germans.
  • Cliffhanger!
Administrator
Posted 2008-12-04 10:16 AM (#1517 - in reply to #1468)

Admin

Dude! I've got to catch up. I'm on episode 6 I think. The last one I saw was the earth torpeedo and it was meh at best. Had some cool elements in it as part of the back story like the bald guy that's everywhere but the main story was pretty weak.
Administrator
Posted 2008-12-15 12:10 PM (#1519 - in reply to #1468)

Admin

OK, I've made it up to episode 6 now. (The crappy episode was actually 4.)

5 was OK I suppose. High body count again. Nothing much to remember it by.

Episode 6 was the best yet as far as gore goes! Man, they like killing off innocent bystanders in this show.

I'm having a problem understanding why these people running the experiments are releasing their victims out into the world. They have to know that the feds are after them but they keep laying that breadcrumb trail. There sure are a lot of strange goings-on up in Boston. You'd think that grisley string of incidents would cause more trouble than it seems to. Where's the press in all this? I'd be getting the hell out of Boston!

Of course, poking holes in this show is just too easy so I won't go on. The thing that keeps me watching is Walter. He's a hoot and you can tell he's having fun playing the insane scientist. He's looking around at the exploded/cooked brains in the diner and he's more interested in the onion soup. Classic.

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-01-21 4:21 PM (#1545 - in reply to #1468)

Uber User

New episode is online at Hulu.

Featuring:

• Death by slug
  • A pretty cool escape
  • Death by another kind of slug
Administrator
Posted 2009-01-24 5:53 PM (#1564 - in reply to #1545)

Admin

This is just funny!  Topless Robot has this story you should read: 

5 Reasons Why the Fringe Team Is the Worst Department in the FBI

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-01-29 2:41 PM (#1569 - in reply to #1564)

Uber User

Administrator - 2009-01-24 5:53 PM

This is just funny!  Topless Robot has this story you should read: 

5 Reasons Why the Fringe Team Is the Worst Department in the FBI

In this week's episode, this bit of dialogue directly addresses one or two of those concerns:

"This looks like yet another excuse to justify the allocation of FBI resources to what's arguably become a rogue division inside a federal agency operating if not completely autonomously, then well outside the standard regulatory purview."

Also:

• Sitting in front of a computer can fry your brains.
  • Don't trust Macbooks.
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-02-11 9:43 AM (#1579 - in reply to #1468)

Uber User

This week in Fringe, we learn something about Walter's past, something about Olivia's past, and something rather frightening about the nature of the universe.
Administrator
Posted 2009-04-09 11:28 PM (#1615 - in reply to #1579)

Admin

OK, so Fringe is back on.  Very cool, right?  Well, not a huge deal.  I mean, I like the show but I'm not particularly motivated to watch it for some reason.  I'm 4 episodes behind right now so I've got some watching to do but I'm in no hurry, ya know?  Until today.

From Topless Robot :  Leonard Nimoy has been hired to play Dr. William Bell, shy CEO of mostly evil company Massive Dynamics and co-mad scientist/lab buddy of Walter.

Frak-n-A!  That's something to get excited about!

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-04-12 7:29 PM (#1616 - in reply to #1615)

Uber User

In last week's episode ...

• Olivia makes a friend
  • The FBI meets the CIA
  • Cow's blood is very important
  • Walter says, "Gamma... mamma jamma"
Administrator
Posted 2009-04-13 7:59 AM (#1617 - in reply to #1468)

Admin

Over the weekend I managed to watch 3 episodes of Fringe so I'm almost caught up. One more to go and I'll be current.
Administrator
Posted 2009-04-14 11:51 AM (#1618 - in reply to #1617)

Admin

Caught up now! So, the bald kid is one of the observers? Nobody on the Fringe team made the connection? Even after the CIA shows up? They were searching for those guys in an earlier episode.

Massive Dynamic is starting to look a little less evil lately.
Administrator
Posted 2009-04-20 9:38 PM (#1620 - in reply to #1618)

Admin

There's a pretty cool interview with John Noble (Walter) on Slice of Sci-Fi .  It starts at the 32nd minute mark tho there is some good stuff before that as well if you've not tuned in before.
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-04-22 8:06 PM (#1621 - in reply to #1620)

Uber User

Really good episode this week. Some of Walter's history is getting filled in, not to mention Olivia's.
Administrator
Posted 2009-04-22 8:35 PM (#1622 - in reply to #1468)

Admin

Indeed. In a way that's not very good for Walter. It appears his insanity was well earned. I wonder how that's going to play out with Olivia?

Did you notice the voice on the video? Leonard Nimoy, baby! I'm guessing he'll be making his appearance soon. Schweet!

jynnantonnyx
Posted 2009-05-06 10:40 AM (#1633 - in reply to #1622)

Uber User

Things are really coming to a head now that the season is wrapping up. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen the last few episodes yet, but I will say that this week's ep includes an in-episode plot synopsis of the almost-released "Star Trek" film directed by "Fringe" producer J.J. Abrams.
Dauntlessmedia
Posted 2009-11-02 5:19 PM (#1726 - in reply to #1468)

New User

What has everyone thought of S2 so far? I feel like they've spent a bit too much time on "fringe" stories and not really addressed the big story arcs enough. Hopefully the new episodes will be a return to what we saw in the 2nd half of S1.
Administrator
Posted 2009-11-02 7:39 PM (#1728 - in reply to #1468)

Admin

So far I think this season has been pretty good. I agree that a few episodes have been filler to stretch the plot. The C.H.U.D kid episode was really poor IMO but the others have been stronger. I'm glad the amnesia bit played out rather quickly. I've no patience for that old trope.

My biggest disappointment has been the Charlie affair. More holes than a sieve in that story arc. There are constant references to genre film and television in the show and nobody thought to check each other out when they know they're dealing with a shape-shifter? Has sci-fi taught them nothing?

I really like that we're getting more details on Peter and Walter's past. Walter is one messed up dude. Not sure if I like the "Take Charge" Peter angle they're playing but I do like that they are going to take the fight to the enemy instead of just cleaning up the dead bodies. Let's hope that bears fruit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)