open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A book exists at the intersection of the author's subconscious and the reader's response." - William Gibson, Distrust That Particular Flavor
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

J.J. Abram's Star Trek
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2009-05-15 10:55 PM (#1634)
Subject: J.J. Abram's Star Trek

Uber User

Saturday, I got together with a friend to see Star Trek. Keeping it fairly spoiler free, and simply put, Star Trek was all kinds of awesome. Seriously. Now, I didn't have high expectations for this movie. I'm a long time Trekker, and my love for The Next Generation, as well as other series and movies, was huge back in the day. It's been some years now since I've had any Trek to get excited about. I liked Voyager okay, but I never watched DS9, and didn't like Enterprise (though I want to see the fourth season), and it's been since First Contact for a good movie. My point is, I'm a Trekker, and I'll always be one - it's a huge part of my life and temperament - but it's been in the background for a long time, and I wasn't sure whether a movie by J.J. Abrams, someone who's got a spotty record for me, would really fulfill what I wanted in a movie worthy of the Trek name. Well let me say now, that any faults were small and forgivable. I never thought, "Hey, look, it's Sylar playing Spock!" Zachary Quinto blended into the part of Spock so well, that I never saw anyone but a young Spock before me. And as for Kirk, did they ham up the ladies-man bit a little too much? Absolutely, and it was perfect. They even had him making sweet sweet love to a green girl, a former Orion Slave Girl perhaps? Uhura's role as possible "love interest" was disconcerting at first, but she really never was more than window dressing in the series anyway, so at least she got an arc this time. Plus she had the old school ear piece, which was awesome to see. Chris Pine did an acceptable job as Kirk, while Simon Pegg was a brilliant Scotty. I loved his introduction. There was plenty of cheese, but it was intentional, and measured perfectly. Even the diversion from cannon was thoroughly explained and justified. To sum up, I enjoyed myself in a way that I haven't at the movies for a while, and I'm very happy with what J.J. did here. I'm now completely looking forward to the already approved sequel, and I hardily recommend this one to fans of Trek, or just fans of fun action movies. Yes, it was a fun action flick, but it had plenty of "Trek" moments as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2009-05-15 11:16 PM (#1635 - in reply to #1634)
Subject: Re: J.J. Abram's Star Trek

Admin

That sums up my Trek experience pretty well, Deven. We got a group of 10 together to see it at the IMAX. We got in line hours early, only 3 guys geekier than us it seems, and had a great time waiting in anticipation.

I had refused to get excited about the movie ever since I first heard about it. Trek previews always look great and the movies almost always suck, and suck bad, so I was protecting myself from the inevitable letdown. My resolve was wavering in the weeks leading up to the big show though because, yep, you guessed it, the previews looked awesome and I got some of the plot details from Rico. My fears were unfounded as it turns out because it was just a joy to watch. I grinned like fool most of the way through and I came out of the theater happy and elated. When was the last time you came out of a Trek movie feeling like that?

Sure, you can poke a lot of holes if you want but I really have no desire to do so. I loved it despite it's flaws. The cheesy acting, the silly science. The gaping holes in the plot and other contrivances. I was there to be entertained and I got my money's worth of that. I'm excited about Star Trek again.
Deven Science
Posted 2009-05-16 9:10 PM (#1636 - in reply to #1635)
Subject: Re: J.J. Abram's Star Trek

Uber User

When was the last time you came out of a Trek movie feeling like that?

It's been a while. First Contact, I think. So, over ten years.

Yeah, the supernova science, the black hole science, these things didn't stop me from having a ball. I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing it for a second time tonight. I never watch movies twice in theater. Heck, rarely once. But I've done it twice recently. With Watchmen, and now Star Trek. Those have been the only good summer movies so far, but I loved them both.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)