open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand." - Kurt Vonnegut
- (Added by: Administrator)

Tim Powers' book to become Pirates IV?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

icowrich
Posted 2009-09-14 12:22 AM (#1702)
Subject: Tim Powers' book to become Pirates IV?

Admin

Disney just announced that Pirates of the Caribbean IV will be named On Stranger Tides.  Sound familiar?

This isn't so much as fact as, well, pure speculation, but the latest Johnny Depp vehicle may share more than just the title of Time Powers' 1988 WFA and Locus Fantasy nominated novel.  According to Zap2it, the Powers character, Jack Shandy, may morph into Jack Sparrow, with the rest of the novel's elements staying relatively true to the original novel.  Some level of confirmation seems to come from LatinoReview.com, which quotes Powers' agent as saying "it is not a coincidence". 

I'm not sure what to think of a fourth Pirates movie, given the underwhelming nature of part three.  On the other hand, maybe Tim Powers could save the franchise.  What do you think?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2009-09-14 9:34 PM (#1705 - in reply to #1702)
Subject: Re: Tim Powers' book to become Pirates IV?

Admin

I've not read On Stranger Tides but I've heard good things about it. It's got to be better drawing the material from an award nominated book from a respected author than coming up with something from scratch where the writers might be temped to up the ante yet again and give SPECTACULAR VISUALS and no story. I am cautiously optimistic now where I couldn't give a fig before.
christopherw277
Posted 2009-09-20 2:59 PM (#1707 - in reply to #1705)
Subject: Re: Tim Powers' book to become Pirates IV?

Extreme Veteran

Agreed... P of the C III wasn't really worth the celluloid it was printed on. But if Tim Powers is involved...

In other sci fi/ fantasy screen news... looks like HBO is going to do George RR Martin's "Game of Thrones"! And do it properly... each book will be a full TV season, rather than try to squeeze an entire novel into a two hour format. Good for them!

But will the gore-fest that is Game of Thrones translate to the small screen? George kills off as many characters as he keeps... a kind of anti- Robert Jordan approach. Time will tell!
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2010-04-20 10:00 AM (#1868 - in reply to #1702)
Subject: RE: Tim Powers' book to become Pirates IV?

Uber User

For what it's worth, it has been officially confirmed that the upcoming Pirates sequel is an adaptation of Powers' novel. He had an interview with the LA Times a while back where he talked about the film deal and his inability to talk about the project for so long:

Surprised author Tim Powers finds himself setting sail with 'Pirates of the Caribbean'
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)