open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Alien Prequel
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Pierre
Posted 2010-03-13 8:04 AM (#1808)
Subject: Alien Prequel

Sorry, but I do not see the point of the Hollywood bashing article by Paul Thies on Alien and its forthcoming prequel which appears on the Home page.

I have a lot of respect for Ridley Scott who brought us two of the best classics in science fiction movies. Though I agree there is no absolute need to produce a prequel to Alien 30 years later, the fact that Mr. Scott (and the original Alien writers) is brought back indicates that at the very least it will stop the Alien vs Predator prequels debacle. For this I am extremely grateful.
I will go see the movie and expect another classic from Mr. Scott.

It would be great to see a crossover between books and movies, but this article hardly qualifies. Though there is the existence a relatively unknown and uncredited short story describing the Alien homeworld, I do not understand the purpose of this front page blog on a literature website other than relating to science fiction.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-03-13 11:43 AM (#1809 - in reply to #1808)
Subject: RE: Alien Prequel

Admin

Hey Pierre,

The Alien article is the first of what we hope will be a regular Friday post about SF/F movies and TV by Paul.  Given that most fans of written SF/F are also movie fans as well we feel it fits right in with our content and will appeal to our members and visitors.  The appeal is more important than any strict crossover to the books.  Future movie posts may be more directly connected to the books we cover, as far as adaptations to film etc., but that's entirely up to Paul.  We've placed no restrictions on him other than it has to be about SF/F.  There won't be any reviews of The Notebook coming from Paul.

There will still be other posts that cleave more closely to our main mission from other sources.  We've got another book review forthcoming and an audio interview with Ben Bova that's in post-production now that should be out next week among other things like new content updates etc.

Pierre
Posted 2010-03-14 9:52 AM (#1810 - in reply to #1809)

First and foremost I am a SF movie fan, as my overflowing film library can attest to. I clearly recall the evening when I went in to see the original release of Alien and what began to be an appreciation of the quality directorship of Ridley Scott. Along with Blade Runner, Alien and Legend are in my top movies, which confirms him as a visionary SF/F Director. I get a bit twitchy when such comments are written which show an underlying negative expectation. I would have expected such words about Emmerich and Foundation but not about Scott and Alien.

Regardless of the series movie titles, the main story is not about a rampaging carnivorous species but of a person named Ellen Ripley and her fight for survival. This story has been told...several times. I will not try to second guess the prequel intent of O'Bannon, Shusett and Scott but I do expect a cinematographic quality and depth of characters. Again, I look forward to an awesome and entertaining production.

I also look forward to the weekly posts.
Thanks for the great work Dave.

PS. Wasn''t The Notebook some sort of Fantasy?

Administrator
Posted 2010-03-14 11:50 PM (#1812 - in reply to #1808)
Subject: Re: Alien Prequel

Admin

I think he expressed some optimism that Scott would deliver and save a failing franchise. The negativity comes from his dislike of poorly conceived sequels to great films - that as a fan-boy he'll go see regardless. He knows he's being manipulated but can't help himself.

I hope you're right about the prequel. If anybody can do it, it's Scott and company.

Yeah, as soon as I hit the submit button I realized that The Notebook is actually a SF film. The characters communicate across time or some such. Should have said "Beaches" or something.
JimTN
Posted 2011-08-27 1:28 PM (#2598 - in reply to #1808)

New User

I myself am looking forward to the Ridley Scott ALIEN prequel movie PROMETHEUS, especially with it being shot in 3D! It should be visually stunning -- so why would anybody complain?? And who would complain if there were 15 ALIEN films done, I think that there's room to write many stories and let several directors who appreciate the SF film genre to continue making ALIEN films! The more the better, as long as we don't let Roger Corman do any of them...!
Administrator
Posted 2011-08-27 2:46 PM (#2600 - in reply to #2598)

Admin

JimTN - 2011-08-27 1:28 PM I myself am looking forward to the Ridley Scott ALIEN prequel movie PROMETHEUS, especially with it being shot in 3D! It should be visually stunning -- so why would anybody complain?? And who would complain if there were 15 ALIEN films done, I think that there's room to write many stories and let several directors who appreciate the SF film genre to continue making ALIEN films! The more the better, as long as we don't let Roger Corman do any of them...!

I don't suppose anyone would complain if the movies were good.  So far the results have been mixed at best with each movie being worse than the previous.  I'm interested to see what Ridley Scott will do with this one for sure but I'd much rather see something new all things considered.

JimTN
Posted 2011-08-27 4:53 PM (#2601 - in reply to #1808)

New User

Well, the rumor has it that the PROMETHEUS film *is* going to be very much a new stand-alone film, but it will dovetail into the ALIEN movie via the space jockey and/or his race of aliens -- so I'm looking forward to it satisfying both aspects of being something "new" and being a ALIEN prequel set about 30 years before ALIEN... and it should be stunning for Ridley Scott to use the 3D process!

I myself found something to appreciate in each of the ALIEN and PREDATOR films -- I have yet to ever wish that one of them "wasn't made" -- each added something to the genre of good quality SF films!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)