open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: An equation is a prophecy that always comes true. - Catherynne M. Valente (The Boy Who Lost Fairyland)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Great stories not on screen
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

hihik
Posted 2010-04-18 8:10 AM (#1852)
Subject: Great stories not on screen

Regular

i don't understand why such great series as Asimov's Foundation, King's Dark Tower and Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber are not put onto screen yet! ok, maybe Foundation is a bit too grand in scale to make a proper movie or tv show but Dark Tower and Amber would be fascinating. With current technological advancement in movie-making I don't see any problem with creating good effects described in those books.

I read that J.J. Abrams has purchased rights to make the Dark Tower but so far I haven't heard anything beyond that. I mean come on - Amber series as a tv show?! I'd buy an hd set and subscribe to whatever to be able to watch that!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-18 11:19 AM (#1854 - in reply to #1852)
Subject: RE: Great stories not on screen

Admin

I'm rather surprised about The Dark Tower myself.  King has been a Hollywood darling for years.  You'd think someone would option that series.  I think HBO could do an excellent job of it.  Of course, they'd sex it up a bit but the quality would be very high. 

I read the The Chronicles of Amber and I agree that would make a nice TV series as well.  I can see SyFy making that one and it distresses me no end.

Speaking of SyFy, their adaptation of The Riverworld Saga airs tonight so set your DVR.  It's a four hour mini-series.  I think it was made years ago but never aired?  Something like that.  I'll record it and give a few minutes at least.

As far as The Foundation Series goes you may get your wish - and live to regret it.  There has been a lot of chatter online about Roland Emerich making it into a movie.  Not really sure where it stands as of now because some other reports refute it.  It appears to be on and off with each new story.  This one I'm not sure of.  Love the series but I don't know if it would translate well.  Emerich mentioned how poorly received I, Robot was from fans of the book and he'd be reluctant to do the same with/to Foundation so that's a good sign I guess. To me there would need to be a massive re-write to get it to the screen and I don't like the sound of that at all.  I don't want it turned into another action flick.

hihik
Posted 2010-04-18 11:29 AM (#1855 - in reply to #1854)
Subject: Re: Great stories not on screen

Regular

glad to see a likely minded person

foundation carries a vast idea, I doubt it can be made into a good movie

I, robot was a disaster
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-18 12:08 PM (#1856 - in reply to #1855)

Admin

Yes it was.  If they had just made the movie without trying to be I, Robot the book I might have liked it for an action SF flick.

I'm just tired of the constant remakes of old SF films like The Day the Earth Stood Still or Planet of the Apes that aren't improvements on the originals and usually end up being special effects extravaganzas with crap acting and dialog and silly plot changes to "make them more relevant to today's audience."

I want to see new films based on the great body of excellent SF/F books and stories that we all want to see on the big screen.  REAL science fiction, not just action flicks with killer robots, shaky-cam work or the other trappings of SF pasted onto a bad plot.

Of course, when I hear the "good news" that someone actually is going to tackle something great like Foundation I live in fear of how bad they're going to screw it all up.  What cuts are they going to make?  How much are they going to "dumb-it-down" for the audience?  My God, is Keanu going to be in it?

In the end all we can do is hope for the best.   Every once in awhile we'll get something great amidst the usual crap.

hihik
Posted 2010-04-18 10:35 PM (#1860 - in reply to #1856)

Regular

Administrator - 2010-04-18 1:08 PM
My God, is Keanu going to be in it?

good one :D

well, at least they are making some sf movies now ... Moon was good, Halo Legends was surprisingly very good, for a while there wasn't anything at all or so it seemed to me
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2010-04-20 9:00 AM (#1867 - in reply to #1852)
Subject: RE: Great stories not on screen

Uber User

The common wisdom is that great books do not usually translate into great movies, while bad books often make for an enjoyable (if not deep) cinematic experience. Good novels and epic poems just include too much that is unfilmable, such as interior monologues and philosophical asides, and trying to put those on screen usually ends badly. A few movies, like Blade Runner, actually end up with a pretty good finished product, but at the expense of dropping many of the central aspects of the book. Great books need to have things removed and replaced with more film-worthy ideas if they are going to survive the transition. They also need to be modified to work well within the two-hour time frame most studios demand. All of these modifications are very hard to pull off, which makes me prefer the situation in which some of my favorite books have not and hopefully never will be adapted to film.
hihik
Posted 2010-04-20 7:06 PM (#1871 - in reply to #1852)

Regular

i don't quite agree with you, jynnantonnyx. i mean what's there to lose if the movie is made? if it comes out good then great, if it doesn't well at least there'll be something to trash-talk about. i agree that some books are just impossible to be put on film and those should be left alone (until some breakthrough, hell we already have 3d tv's now). but the 2 i mentioned above - the dark tower and amber are mostly action packed with a nice story and idea and therefore, i believe, would be great on screen. i completely agree that butchering a story to fit into 2 hour time line is horrid. for such long stories a tv show format is most appropriate. for example a timer traveler's wife was in my opinion very nicely fit into 2 hours. i just want to say it's possible ..
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2010-04-21 9:16 AM (#1874 - in reply to #1871)

Uber User

The problem with making bad film adaptations is that film is a medium that inherently takes greater control of one's imagination than a novel. When you read a novel you need to use your imagination actively to picture the things taking place. When you watch a film you barely have to use your imagination at all, because all the work is being done for you. This means that the images and sounds of the film take residence in your head without you even having to try, and all the hard work your imagination did when reading the novel is in danger of being washed away by the imagery of the film. This is why it becomes hard to re-read a novel after watching a film adaptation without seeing the actors' faces and movie sets as you read. Exercising one's imagination upon a novel is hard work, and it is discouraging to see that work destroyed by a film.
htaccess
Posted 2010-04-21 7:46 PM (#1880 - in reply to #1874)

Veteran

I'm with jynnantonnyx on this one, I think comics make much better candidates for faithful adaption. Sort stories too.
hihik
Posted 2010-04-21 8:10 PM (#1881 - in reply to #1852)

Regular

hmm, i feel something like that about audiobooks - i just organically can't take someone else reading to me, ruins the imagining.

but do you really think it's not worse to try? there're always reviews and someone else who did go to see it whom you can ask about it before watching yourself. and then there's chance that they actually got it right.
Pierre
Posted 2010-04-21 8:30 PM (#1882 - in reply to #1880)

The problem with short stories is, well, sometimes they are too short. Take for instance, the ultra short Richard Matheson "Button, Button" adapted as "The Box" in 2009. I guess you could say twas faithful but greatly expanded. As for comics, though I'm not an avid reader, the example which comes to mind is "V for Vendetta". The movie is one of my favorites but it was so unfaithful to the dark graphic novel that Alan Moore wanted nothing of it. I also agree with jynnantonnyx. It is a matter of perception and expectations, and regardless, a movie will destroy in some way this fantasy with some notable exceptions (Lord of the Rings?). I guess it is simpler (or is it laziness?), whenever possible, to read the novel after the movie. You can better visualize the story and the characters as you enjoy reading it in much greater detail. I've done that several times and they still captured my imagination, faithful or not. I did read "V for Vendetta" after, though in this instance I still prefer the movie.
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-21 9:04 PM (#1883 - in reply to #1882)

Admin

I think I fall in the middle on the movie adaptations.  I usually get excited about new SF/F movies even though I have low expectations.  I prefer my SF movies to be unheard of though rather than adaptations of classics.  Less let down if I don't have preconceived notions about how characters should look or how the story should unfold.  I won't watch a movie if I intend to read the book later but if it's a book that I'm only mildly interested in I'll let someone else imagine it for me.  I'm lazy like that.

I still hold out hope that these favorites might get made properly and I'll usually go see them unless someone waves me off of them.  I figure I should support the movie makers for an honest effort so more SF films will get made thereby increasing the odds that we might get another Lord of the Rings rather than another I, Robot.

My biggest gripe with adaptations is that they usually end up being poor representations of the written work and while those of us in the know can avoid and disown them, on behalf of our beloved genre, those unfamiliar with the original go to see it, realize it's crap and it just confirms to them their suspicions that sci-fi is all lasers and explosions with no substance.  I'd prefer that people see the genre at it's best and perhaps grow to demand better from the movies they support.

hihik
Posted 2010-04-30 12:54 PM (#1965 - in reply to #1852)

Regular

some development on Dark Tower adaptation - http://scifiwire.com/2010/04/kings-dark-tower-heads-fo.php

i had high hopes with Bad Robot steering the project. now though .. why, oh why
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-30 9:12 PM (#1967 - in reply to #1852)

Admin

@hihik: A turn for the worse. Who would you rather see direct Dark Tower?
hihik
Posted 2010-05-01 7:59 AM (#1969 - in reply to #1967)

Regular

JJ seemed like a chap for the job i liked cloverfield and lost (uhm, ok, first couple seasons), never watched fringe though.
Pierre
Posted 2010-05-01 9:29 AM (#1971 - in reply to #1883)

"My biggest gripe with adaptations is that they usually end up being poor representations of the written work and while those of us in the know can avoid and disown them, on behalf of our beloved genre, those unfamiliar with the original go to see it, realize it's crap and it just confirms to them their suspicions that sci-fi is all lasers and explosions with no substance. I'd prefer that people see the genre at it's best and perhaps grow to demand better from the movies they support."

** I agree with you that adaptations are usually poor representations of the written work but not to the point of disowning them. There are many reasons for this to occur: Cost, feasability, interpretation, length, cost, wider audience, contemporary update, cost, and others. I never expect a true adaptation, therefore, with few exceptions, I'm rarely disappointed. For me, it is two separate universes: the vision of the author and the vision of the Director.

Simple classic stories are rare indeed.

Dave, I can see you are the number 1 fan of Transformers.
Pierre
Posted 2010-05-03 5:20 PM (#1987 - in reply to #1969)

On your subject of The Dark Tower, the verdict is in today: Ron Howard.  It could have been worse.

I think my 1982 illustrated special edition of The Dark Tower just gained a few cents.

Edited by Pierre 2010-05-03 5:25 PM
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-03 7:41 PM (#1989 - in reply to #1852)

Admin

To my great advantage I've not read any of the Dark Tower books. I won't be saddled with any preconceived notions about the story or accuracy of the film. I like Ron Howard pretty well so I'm looking forward to the film but I'll temper my enthusiasm for now.
Pierre
Posted 2010-05-03 8:03 PM (#1991 - in reply to #1989)

After 28 years, I haven't read it either, and I have little interest in it.  The movie might be a different story though.
hihik
Posted 2010-05-03 8:07 PM (#1992 - in reply to #1991)

Regular

28 years .. so you just read the first couple books?
Pierre
Posted 2010-05-03 8:15 PM (#1994 - in reply to #1992)

I was referring to the one I have, the first one. Actually, I have the second one also, hmm somewhere. As I said, I have no interest in reading them, nor in King any more for that matter: Call it a permanent King indigestion from the 80's.
hihik
Posted 2010-05-03 8:20 PM (#1995 - in reply to #1852)

Regular

hmm, i see. he took it quite far from what The Gunslinger is. i read all seven. not without a bit of pushing after book 4 though.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-03 8:30 PM (#1998 - in reply to #1995)

Admin

I've read a few of King's books but I'm content to watch the movies that inevitably come from them.  The Dark Tower series has some sizable gaps between volumes.  I've heard some others say they had to struggle through some of the middle books.

I was going to give Under the Dome a try but I saw it at the library and decided it was just too long to attempt.  I'm just not that interested to go 1,000 pages.

htaccess
Posted 2010-05-05 12:35 AM (#2007 - in reply to #1998)

Veteran

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/05/04/unfilmable-sf-novels/1/
htaccess
Posted 2010-05-06 1:54 AM (#2009 - in reply to #2007)

Veteran

How about Rendezvous with Rama?

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/05/05/amazing-fan-created.html
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)