open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The living tongue that tells the word, the living ear that hears it, bind and bond us in the communion we long for in the silence of our inner solitude. -- Ursula Le Guin (The Wave in the Mind)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Adding to My World and the Home Page
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

Pierre
Posted 2010-05-01 7:08 PM (#1977)
Subject: Adding to My World and the Home Page

This suggestion pertains to the addition of a list within "My World". Along with "My Reading List" and other lists, the addition of "My Reviews" would be great. Perhaps with just the title of the review and the book and its author, date of posting would be sufficient. Looking forward, after a few dozen reviews and thereafter, it would be nice to have them all in a single place or all accessible from a unique personal list.

On the same subject, the addition of the titles recently reviewed by members could be posted on or linked from the Home page. Otherwise, we have little idea what others read and review (if at all) unless we hit the particular reviewed book. It seems a shame to put in the effort to write a review that only somebody sometimes will accidentally notice. By the same token, more reviews may be written...and we will know about them.

Keep up the good work!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-01 8:11 PM (#1979 - in reply to #1977)
Subject: RE: Adding to My World and the Home Page

Admin

These are all on our list and for the very reasons you've stated.  The odds are very long against you actually finding the reviews we've got except by pure chance. The current set up is a dis-incentive to write reviews at all.  We write these reviews to be read after all and if you expect that nobody will ever see it, why bother?

Here is what we have in mind:

• some clean-up on the review page to improve formatting like line breaks, cover pic and add member's rating (1-10 or eventually 5 star system with 1/2 star increments)
  • list all member reviews on the member's My World page so others can see what else you've reviewed
  • list all reviews in a single table with sorting features for easy reference
  • display a list of the most recent 10 reviews on the books main page with member avatars, review title, book title, author name etc.
  • implement a "thumbs up - thumbs down" feature so other members can rate your review
  • members will be able to sort the reviews by thumbs up so the best will rise to the top and get read more
  • add an icon to a member's avatar to indicate they have reviewed a book so others will go see their reviews
  • periodically we'll select the best reviews and add them as a member blog article on the home page 
  • add social media links to the reviews and My World to connect to the member's blog or website etc.

That's a partial list off the top of my head.  Some of these will be implemented sooner than others but we'll get around to the most important bits as quick as we can.  Certainly we don't want to turn people off of writing reviews any more than we have already.  Hopefully some of these improvements will get people more interested in contributing their opinions.

I'll post our progress with these items as we get them completed.

Pierre
Posted 2010-05-01 8:43 PM (#1982 - in reply to #1979)

Thanks. This should enhance greatly the fun, experience and the sharing of WWE, including my English writing skills. I'll keep on reviewing.

Pierre
Posted 2010-05-17 5:31 PM (#2061 - in reply to #1982)

Another idea on the same topic. It is of course just to keep you busy Dave.

Upon clicking on the author and going to the author's page with all his/her titles listed in the WWE DB, you could add the list of the books reviewed. For simplicity sake, maybe using the same format as the member's home page as discussed earlier.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-17 10:56 PM (#2065 - in reply to #2061)

Admin

Another good idea.  I'll add it to the list.  You do like to make work for me Pierre

We've got a start on some of the things in the big list above like the formatting of the reviews with the addition of a rich text editor and the cover pic etc.  More to come.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)