open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Kinship is a bondage dragons feel more keenly than men. Their mothers-in-law live longer. -- Ka'a Orto'o, Gnomic Utterances, l iii -- Diana Wynne Jones (The Tough Guide to FantasyLand)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Iron Man II
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2010-05-08 1:45 PM (#2018)
Subject: Iron Man II

Admin

So, I managed to get out to see Iron Man II last night.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  Just not as good as the first IMO.  Given that I was expecting to be a bit let down I'm somewhat relieved now that all is said and done.

The movie gave us more of what we loved about the first film.  Snarky Tony was more snarky.  Pepper is still hot but they gave us more hotness with the inclusion of Romanoff.  Why just one suit when you can have several versions and in different colors no less?  More explosions, more special effects, more danger and just more more more....  Strangely there was less Jarvis.  Too bad on that score.

It's a very slick movie and I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting but it just did not have the same impact as the first.  Anybody else see it yet?  What do you guys think?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
hihik
Posted 2010-05-08 3:21 PM (#2019 - in reply to #2018)
Subject: Re: Iron Man II

Regular

[SPOILERS]

watched it last night and felt exactly as you did - was expecting an epic fail but it was fine with just less intelligent jokes and story than in the first one. i thought the evil guy was too easy to take down and what was the purpose of having Johansson anyway, besides being a reason for an excellent joke - "i want one!"

admin, did you see a trailer for 'Super 8', J.J.Abrams' new project, in the beginning? looks promising, huh
and did you stay until the end of the credits where they showed a tiny bit of an opener for the third movie? what was that sticking out of the sand? looked like a handle of a sword ...
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-08 4:04 PM (#2020 - in reply to #2019)

Admin

Yeah, Super 8 looked intriguing!  I've not even heard of that one before.

The bit at the end was cool. I'll never understand why people leave the theater before the credits are done especially since they Nick Fury bit at the end of the first movie.  It looked to me like (click and drag to reveal): Thor's Hammer.

I forgot to mention that I much preferred Don Cheadle as Rhodes.

Deven Science
Posted 2010-05-09 11:15 PM (#2022 - in reply to #2019)

Uber User

what was that sticking out of the sand? looked like a handle of a sword ...

It was Mjöllnir, Thor's hammer, of course! It was clear as day to me.

As to the rest of the movie, I really liked it. The first one was better, but the villian was better in this one. War Monger was actually a pretty lame villian for what was otherwise an amazing movie last time. Below is my whole blog post about it, which talks more about upcoming Marvel movies than it does Iron Man 2. It might keep the conversation going, though.

A Quick Review, and Then Some Waxing On, by Deven Science

Just saw Iron Man 2. I appreciate some of the points the negative reviewers have said, but I thought it was damn good. Not as good as the first one, but a worthy sequel. There is much tie in to the future Marvel movies, in particular The Avengers. I'm fine with that, though I'm thinking that those portions of the film may not age well with time. It does bring to mind something else I'll come back to though, once I finish my thought on the current movie. On the NetFlix scale (which is how my mind works for rating movies), I'd give it four stars out of five (really liked it).

Okay, back to The Avengers. As some of you may know, Joss Whedon has been hired to direct the movie, with rumors that he will be going over the script, as well. What I'm surprised about is the mixed feelings I'm getting from my various movie websites. I myself feel that this is awesome news. On the one hand, Whedon has never directed anything of the size of a summer blockbuster like this. In fact, though he has directed much in the way of TV, he only has one movie to his name, 2005's Serenity, which I love. In film, he is more established as a writer, with Alien Resurrection, Toy Story, and Titan A.E. to name a few. But his reputation comes from his TV shows. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and of course, my most beloved of television shows, Firefly, on which his movie Serenity is a continuation. All of these shows demonstrated one strength in particular: a talent for handling ensemble casts. And this is why I think that he will work as a director for The Avengers. You will have several characters fresh out of their own movie vehicles, The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, plus the rumored addition of a few more, such as Ant-Man, or Hawkeye. How to give them all ample screen time? How to have them banter in a fresh and believable way? These are things that Whedon can address better than many other directors. Is this a slam dunk? No. As I said, Serenity was his biggest venture, with a budget of 40 million dollars, and it barely broke even in theater. This movie will probably have a budget of 150 million. But, if it does work, if he does pull it off, then I would be very happy to have him finally accepted as a talented director by Hollywood.

I hope that's what happens. I also hope that they do let him polish the script, as I would love some touches of the classic Whedon dialog in there to keep the conversations in the film interesting, as only he can.
hihik
Posted 2010-05-10 6:25 AM (#2024 - in reply to #2022)

Regular

Deven Science - 2010-05-10 12:15 AM

It was Mjöllnir, Thor's hammer, of course! It was clear as day to me

never read comics so i am not familiar with the story

hihik
Posted 2010-05-10 10:52 AM (#2027 - in reply to #2024)

Regular

my colleague just pointed it out that a scene from the trailer where peppermint kisses tony's helmet is missing in the movie, weird ..
Deven Science
Posted 2010-05-10 7:31 PM (#2029 - in reply to #2024)

Uber User

I'm not a comic book fan myself, either, but I'm familiar with the mythology.

Oh, and Vincent D'Onofio's portrayal of Thor in Adventures in Babysitting.
hihik
Posted 2010-05-10 8:23 PM (#2031 - in reply to #2018)

Regular

what has mythology got to do with thor in ironman? (sorry couldnt resist :D )
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)