open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things. Well-known fact. - Terry Pratchett (Wyrd Sisters)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

What are you reading in July?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-30 9:02 PM (#3546)
Subject: What are you reading in July?

Elite Veteran

New month,new thread! We are half way through the year,so how are we doing with the Grand Masters challenge? I am in the middle of Lester Del Rey's Police your Planet,the hardest of hard boiled stuff,so cynical and down beat.I have not been at all familiar wih pulp,so this is an eye opener to how the equivalent to hard boiled crime fiction was making a thinly veiled indictment of police corruption.Raymond Chandler,only a decade before had had his famous detective Philip Marlowe beaten up by the corrupt cops,and here the hero himself is a corrupt cop! One ,however who yearns for jusice,but has been beaten down by life.But I think he is now going to go into Clint Eastwood mode,and will set out to clead up Deadwood,sorry,Marsport..But as I said elsewhere, this Del Rey book is nearer Mickey Spillane than Raymond Chandler,cruder and more violent.Police your Planet is free on Project Gutenberg if you want to try it.
After the Del Rey,I intend to read Haldeman's The Forever War,then I will read some Andre Norton,so as to hopefully finish the challenge this month,or early August.

Edited by dustydigger 2012-06-30 9:09 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Emil
Posted 2012-07-01 10:32 AM (#3549 - in reply to #3546)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in July?

Uber User

I've finished Hothouse for the GMRC, started Dragonflight and continuing with Far Out

I'm also still reading Darkover, and Sheckley's Immortality Inc.

Who knows what else may crop up this month. Perhaps Embassytown and Drowned Cities and Planesrunner. I do need to get back on track with the outstanding Hugo winners I have left.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-01 10:49 AM (#3550 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

I have a lot of school reading to do this month, some of this includes Icelandic sagas. I've decided to read Anderson's Hrolf Kraki's Saga in conjunction with those for the GMRC. I picked up Lord Foul's Bane (Donaldson) and Changeling (YA by Delia Sherman) at a used bookstore. I want to read Changeling and pass it on to my step-niece. Right now, I'm reading Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay for the third time. I'm teaching as an example of historiographic metafiction in the fall. I'm also reading Snow Crash for fun. I'm about 200 pages into it. I'm enjoying his commentary on the fake and plastic America.
Emil
Posted 2012-07-02 3:08 AM (#3554 - in reply to #3550)

Uber User

Aha, @Rhonda, and I clean forgot: there is also Oman Ra for the Outside the Norm reading. I've ordered it from Amazon, normal shipping, so the chances are I'll only get it towards the end of July.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-04 9:50 AM (#3573 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

@Emil, I ordered Oman Ra and the Master and the Margarita yesterday in preparation.

Administrator
Posted 2012-07-04 11:43 AM (#3575 - in reply to #3573)

Admin

I'm just pages away from finishig Desolation Island, (Aubrey/Maturin Book 5) by Patrick O'Brian and I'll be reading book 6, The Fortune of War soon.  I'm going to hold off on it and finish Far Out first.  Then, I think I'll read To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer.  That will be for the GMRC and move me a bit farther in my Hugo list.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-04 1:52 PM (#3577 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

I am really annoyed that my library has none of Farmers books at all! I am starting to complile a little list,so at Xmas if I get some cash or vouchers I will buy a few Hugo winners to read.Only about 25 of the Hugo winners are available through the library,so I better start saving the pennies if I am to make much progress with the list. Damn it ..I really fancied the Riverworld books.Read The Lovers many decades ago when it was trendy.Wonder what it reads like now....
At present I am reading Clive Barker's Abarat.it does have echoes of Alice in Wonderland,as Candy is swept away to Abarat,an archipelago where each island is permanently fixed at a different hour of the clock.It is all a bit dreamlike,or indeed a nightmare,much darker than Alice,with some pretty nasty ,scary villains for a junior book-or is it more YA?Quite long,450 pages,but it reads surprisingly quickly.
Next will be Maus,by Art Spiegelman. I know nothing about his history or background (try to come completely fresh to books),but I have to assume the use of animals will be a distancing strategy from the horrific tale....

Edited by dustydigger 2012-07-04 2:03 PM
htaccess
Posted 2012-07-05 2:29 AM (#3584 - in reply to #3546)

Veteran

I am reading Downbelow Station and quite enjoying it. I am a slow reader so hopefully I finish that before its due back at the library (remember when libraries let you renew books??). After that it will probably be something from the Locus Best SF Novels of All-Time (too much Henlein!), which is the list I am currently trying to finish (its the shortest!).

Edited by htaccess 2012-07-05 2:44 AM
Emil
Posted 2012-07-05 2:31 AM (#3585 - in reply to #3584)

Uber User

htaccess I am reading

LOL @htaccess, that's good to know
htaccess
Posted 2012-07-05 2:39 AM (#3586 - in reply to #3546)

Veteran

@Emil: That's me wanting to use the "rich editor", the only way to invoke it is to submit and then edit. Not sure the "rich" editor is worth it though its a huge pain because every time you paste something it "remembers" the markup of the thing you are pasting (eg if its an h2) and there is no way to clear the formatting except going into html edit mode and removing the dumb tags, in other words its being a computer.

Edited by htaccess 2012-07-05 2:45 AM
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-05 1:36 PM (#3599 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

@htaccess - The Locus Best SF is my favourite list,because I have actually read 24 out of the 53 books! lol.I am nowhere near in any other list,doing pretty badly on Nebula,and having read nothing in the PDK list,not even one.All in all.it is a pretty sad showing,I hate to even look at my reading statistics! lol

Edited by dustydigger 2012-07-05 1:39 PM
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-05 2:05 PM (#3600 - in reply to #3599)

Admin

dustydigger - 2012-07-05 1:36 PM @htaccess - The Locus Best SF is my favourite list,because I have actually read 24 out of the 53 books! lol.I am nowhere near in any other list,doing pretty badly on Nebula,and having read nothing in the PDK list,not even one.All in all.it is a pretty sad showing,I hate to even look at my reading statistics! lol

@dd:  If you want to improve your stats fast look for the books with a high number of award nominations and list inclusions (red and black numbers on the covers).  You can bump up several stats at a time if you pick something like American Gods which has 7 noms and is on 4 best lists or Rendezvous with Rama with 5 and 7 respectively.  The WWEnd Top Nominated Books list is a good source for the big stats books.

By the way, if you don't like looking at your reading stats, DO NOT, under any circumstances, look at Englebrecht's stats.  I said DON'T look!

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-05 3:19 PM (#3601 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

Dusty brings up an interesting point for those of us who don't have Engelbrecht's stats and are not working on a particular list--What lists are you doing the best in through your natural choices?

For example, my highest marks are between 30% and 40% and those are in Hugo Winners, the Guardian List and the NPR list. I'm not sure how much overlap there is in the books, but in my opinion, this does seem to summarize my reading habits.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-05 4:15 PM (#3603 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

LOL Dave,of course I HAD to look at Engelbrecht's stats,and nearly fainted! lol Considering I had no access at all to SF for 10 years,and barely read in the next 30 .I am claiming some mitigating circumstances,but WOW Engelbrecht,I must bow in awe.Now,reading four a month,because I read a host of other genres,I can finally catch up up when I am about 101 years old!
(desperating looking around for some excuse) Ah,but Engelbrecht,my crime novel section is over 1000 strong,can you match that( not sure if Engelbrecht has even heard of crime fiction,never mind read it.If he has ,I am an aficionado of vintage crime,Chandler and other hardboiled authors!

Edited by dustydigger 2012-07-05 4:20 PM
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-05 4:52 PM (#3608 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

Hmmm... I hadn't looked at those stats for a while. Without trying, I've got 72% on the Locus All-Time list and 56% on the banned books lists, maybe because both are relatively short lists. Hugo winners, Pringle's 100, SF Masterworks, and the NPR list are creeping above 40%. (Pringle's the only one I've been consciously using as a guide, along with the Cawthorn/Moorcock Fantasy 100, for which I've read lots of older works not on WWEnd.)

Is it July already? Just finished The Paradox Men by Charles Harness (little-known classic from Pringle's list; I reviewed it if anyone's interested) and the August 1952 issue of Galaxy, with Pohl/Kornbluth (final installment of Gravy Planet, aka The Space Merchants), James Blish ("Surface Tension"!), Leiber, and Sheckley!

Currently reading Embassytown. I wasn't sure at first, but it started to click about a third of the way through, and now I very much look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Not sure about the rest of the month. I'm looking at some of the earlier women fantasy writers (Evangeline Walton, Francis Stevens, Charlotte Perkins Gilman), Farah Mendlesohn's "A Short History of Fantasy", and "A Handmaid's Tale." Decisions! And I got my copy of "Omon Ra", which looks quite interesting....
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-06 1:41 AM (#3615 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

I read the Harness,Blish, and of course the cynically hilarious Space Merchants back in the 60s,they need a reread,but when is there the time? Sadly,Herland isnt available to me in my library system,so the only work by Gilman I've read is the creepily disturbing The Yellow Wallpaper.It gave off,though very different in other ways,that aura found in James's Turn of the Screw.
Atwood is on my to read list.Ha! I finally produced and posted my reading list.It is limited by what is available through my library,but it is still nearly 90 books!
These are the books actually sitting there on my shelf looking at me reproachfully,
Joe Haldeman - The Forever War trilogy
Richard Matheson - I am Legend
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5
Kate Wilhelm - Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
China Mieville - City and the City
Roger Zelazny - Dream Master(reread)
Isaac Asimov - I,Robot (reread)
Ursula Le Guin - The Dispossessed
Kim Stanley Robinson - Red Mars
J G Ballard - The Drowned World
At 2 or 3 a month,thats me sorted for the rest of the year.

Edited by dustydigger 2012-07-06 1:58 AM
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-07-06 7:31 AM (#3617 - in reply to #3546)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in July?

Uber User

I've had a rocky start to July, what with my disliking all the books I've read so far:

Kiln People (2002) by David Brin was disappointing.  The premise that you could make specialized copies of yourself in order to do such things as study, scut work, extreme sports, casual sex, etc., to return 24 hours later to deliver memories before decaying was promising, but the book was a long flabby mess.  Featuring a detective using multiple copies of himself to solve a set of interlocking crimes, the book veered back and forth between noir and comic excess before finally degenerating into a farrago of mystical pseudo-science.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games 1) (2008) by Suzanne Collins.  Perhaps the best thing to say here was that the prose wasn't actively grating and that, by and large, the pace of the book moved along.  I realize that this is a YA, but both the world building and the science were over-the-top ridiculous.  Other than that, it was a reasonably engaging ripoff of Battle Royale.

Catching Fire (Hunger Games 2) (2009) by Suzanne Collins.  I'm really the wrong audience for these books.  After I read "I really can't think about kissing when I've got a rebellion to incite" early in the book, it took a supreme effort of will to keep reading...  Everything was worse than in the previous book, even setting aside the female protagonist's endless angst over which boy she liked better.

Mockingjay (Hunger Games 3) (2010) by Suzanne Collins.  This is the book in which both the protagonist and the reader fully realize that the protagonist has practically no redeeming qualities as a human being.  Histrionic throughout, we eventually and painfully reach what is largely a non-ending.  It'll be a loooong time before I inflict another one of these teen romance books upon myself!

Fortunately, July is looking up!  I'm currently enjoying a Calvino, and have a reread of Pelevin's Omon Ra to look forward to.  Also, I think I'm going to start accelerating my Grand Master challenge reading.  I'm halfway along (6 read), but I think that I want to read books by most, or perhaps all of the Grand Masters this year.  I'm also got some books on the Cawthorne & Moorcock best fantasy list that I want to get to this month.  It sounds like everyone has great stuff in the pipeline!

@Rhonda:  Hrolf Kraki's Saga is wonderful!!  If you really like that one, you would probably like Anderson's The Broken Sword as well.  I've always been curious about eddas - what are you reading, and how are you enjoying them?  A few years ago, I read an Icelandic saga novelization, Styrbiorn the Strong by E.R. Eddison (author of the great The Worm Ouroboros) and liked it, but not as well as his other fiction.  Do you ever go to the IAFA conventions in Florida?

@dustydigger:     I've read the obligatory smattering of crime fiction:  Sherlock Holmes, some Agatha Christie, In Cold Blood, The Talented Mr. Ripley, but not too much else.  Sadly, I've never read Chandler.   I think you mentioned Ernest Bramah's detective Max Carrados elsewhere, how do you like those stories?  BTW, The Lovers holds up poorly - I read it a few years ago for the first time and thought it was weak, even considering the era it was written in.

@Scott:  I haven't read Harness' The Paradox Men, but I have read and loved his Cybele, With Bluebonnets, published in 2002, almost fifty years after The Paradox Men.  It's a great novel, beautifully and delicately written.  I'm tempted to read The Paradox Men, but it sounds like it wouldn't compare to the writing of a mature Harness.

DrNefario
Posted 2012-07-06 7:36 AM (#3618 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

For July, I need to finish this Hornblower omnibus before it self-destructs (it's a library ebook, I think that's how they work.) I need to read all of this year's shorter Hugo works. So far I've managed one novella and one short story, so still a way to go.

I'd like to try to catch up on my GMRC a bit. Or at least tread water. Maybe combine it with the Hugo list, which means Way Station, Forever Peace, The Dispossessed or Blackout, I think.

I also like the sound of Omon Ra, but I have no idea if I'm going to be able to find the the time for it.

And I have a strange hankering for golden age crime fiction at the moment. I expect I'll be able to cure it with one book. Maybe Dorothy L Sayers or Ngaio Marsh, although I quite fancy a locked-room mystery by John Dickson Carr, if I can find any.

Obviously, although I have a huge pile of real and virtual books to read, a good many of these are not yet in my possession.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-06 8:14 AM (#3620 - in reply to #3617)

Elite Veteran

@Engelbrecht - remind me not to read David Brin's Kil'n Time ! So far I have only read The Postman,long before the film,and cant say I was enthralled.Perhaps I needed to be American,remembering the glories of the Pony Express and the like? Please someone tell me The Uplift series is better,since I have Startide Rising on the TBR?
I have been stubbornly resisting Suzanne Collins books since the start.Again it seems a case of young,inexperienced readers coming across a concept which blows their mind,and word of mouth,and then hype does the rest.They never realize that dystopian books have been around a century and more! I certainly remember my son when he was a teenager excitedly expounding on the Matrix,and I didnt have the heart to tell him it was all old hat to science fiction readers.Its a good thing though,I am sure some of these young readers will be curious to read other,hopefully better books.But I wish the publishers of YA would give dystopian fiction a rest.One YA book I have enjoyed recently was Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Very good.
Tut tut,Engelbrecht,you havent read Chandler.Probably you would prefer Hammett,but these are classics as far as I am concerned.
The Bramah book was only so-so,though it is fun to read all the period piece items which were once normal everyday matters of fact.Everyone is always going off on the train,and writing letters,so it takes ages to gather the basic facts in the crimes.Everyone moves at avery leisurely pace.
Had a feeling about Farmer,that he was a case of style over substance
@Dr Nefario,I have read every Sayers and Marsh books,and at the moment am methodically reading Allingham's Campion tales.Tiger in the Smoke and More Work for the Undertaker are particular favourites.On the shelf waiting to be read are Look to the Lady and Mystery Mile. The John Dickson Carr/Carter Dickson books are always good fun,particular favourites are Hag's Nook,and The Hollow Man (US Three Coffins)They always start off with some macabre,atmospheric settings,which are all explained away later,but are enjoyable.Love Doctor Fell,who apparently is very like G K Chesterton.Oh there's another favourite,the Father Brown stories,especially the first book.
Oh dear,looks like I'll be moving the Golden Age crime up the list
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-06 8:30 AM (#3621 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

@Dusty and Dr. Nefario, I've been thinking about Marsh recently too. I'd like to re-read the theatre mysteries together--Light Thickens, Killer Dolphin, Night at the Vulcan.
Emil
Posted 2012-07-06 9:56 AM (#3622 - in reply to #3621)

Uber User

@Dusty I found the Uplift series great entertainment.

I'm reading Apocalypse of the Dead - as interlude. So far much, much better plotting and more mature writing than McKinney's first Dead City.

Also started with Planesrunner, my GMRC winning review choice. I am beginning to enjoy the YA's!

Then still going forward with the Darkover series, with The Winds of Darkover, also thus far appearing much more mature than the previous.

In order to catch up with the classics, Theodore Sturgeon's More Than Human, utterly enthralling.

And The Skylark of Space. Duquesne is a real, pulpy super-villian!

Finally still reading Knight's Far Out as part of the GMRC. I've finished Dragonflight last night, thoroughly enjoyed it, but won't be a favorite. The time travelling bit is ... well ... just so implausible. But I would like to finish this particular trilogy.

I'm afraid, not a lot of literary SF this month. Next month I have a few of those lined up. Depending on delivery schedule Oman Ra still lurks for July.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-06 12:24 PM (#3624 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

@ Eric - More than Human was Sturgeon at his best.Darn it still havent got round to Doc Smith,but the Skylark books are on the list!.
@ Rhonda. - Light Thickens was one of Marsh's best.And the title happens to be one of my all time favourite Shakespeare quotes;

Light thickens, and the crow
Makes wing to the rooky wood;
Good things of day begin to droop and drowse
While night's dark agents to their preys do rouse.

Brilliant! Some of my favourite Marsh's are Clutch of Constables,Death in a White Tie, A Surfeit of Lampreys,and Singing in the Shrouds-and many more.Preferred her books to Agatha Christie
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-06 5:21 PM (#3626 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

@Dusty Enjoy the Allingham. I think Look to the Lady might be my favorite, but Mystery Mile is great too. Sayer is my current favorite of the big 4, but that often changes.
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-06 6:06 PM (#3628 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

@engelbrecht, dusty: Harness was new to me, and I was surprised how much I liked The Paradox Men. It's like a coherent A. E. Van Vogt novel. The "Rings" omnibus has additional novels from '68, '81, and '99, so it's good to hear that he was still producing quality books into the 2000s. I'll have to explore further at some point...

Seeing lots of good stuff on peoples' reading lists: Scattered Bodies, Drowned World, Downbelow Station are among the all-time favorites. And Planesrunner was a lot of fun...

If Kiln People was disappointing, that may be why I've seen a couple of reviews referring to Brin's new one as a return to form...

@dusty: If you are willing to read electronically, Gilman's Herland can be had for free from Project Gutenberg in various formats. "The Yellow Wallpaper" is definitely a classic...

I'm hoping to finish Embassytown tonight. It might give Among Others some competition for my Hugo vote...
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-07 2:07 AM (#3630 - in reply to #3628)

Elite Veteran

@Rhonda - I love Sayers,major Lord Peter Wimsy fan.I have had various copies of Gaudy Night and Busman's Honeymoon since first reading them in mid sixties,read them countless times.Also loved Murder Must Advertise,hilarious.Sayers had worked in the business so she had first hand knowledge.Might be old fashioned,but the hype industry is still very reconizable.Did you ever see the Brit TV version of the Harriet and Peter tales?I really liked the actor Edward Petherbridge in the part of Peter.They kept all the dialogue,but Petherbridge spoke it in a quiet rational way,which totally offset any ''silly ass'' tendencies which were prevalent with other interpretations.Check him out !
I am trying to reread the Allinghams in order,since it is about half a century since I first read her.More Work for the Undertaker is my all time favourite.It intrigues me and puzzles me even after repeated readings.Love the Palindrome family- though the name is a bit improbable.Reminds me of the story of someone deriding Anthony Trollope's Barchester Towers saying he could accept someone called Quiverfull,or someone having 14 children,but the two together was a bit much! (anyone confused? check out Psalm127:3-5 lol)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)