open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I don't confuse greatness with perfection. To be great anyhow is the higher achievement. Mirror Dance by Lois McMaster Bujold
- (Added by: jfrantz)

Omon Ra: Outside the Norm Forum
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-04 11:44 AM (#3926)
Subject: Omon Ra: Outside the Norm Forum

Uber User

WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS

The purpose of this reading group is to provide a space to discuss the books with others who’ve read them. Many of us write reviews here on WWE, but we are limited in what we can say because we don’t want to spoil anyone’s reading experience. In this forum, we can write without that fear, so please join our discussion or lurk if you wish, but be aware that you might learn more than you wish if you have not read the book.

I’m using Emil’s suggestion as a guideline, but other respondents please feel free to shape your discussion as you wish.

1. Initial Impression of Omon Ra

Pelevin’s ability to switch gears in the book was done masterfully. The book begins as a realistic and fairly typical coming-of-age narrative in which Omon and Mitiok are set on a path to leave their less-than-desirable families and become cosmonauts.  And then comes the scene (you know the one) in which most of the boys at the Zaraisk flying school are drugged have their legs amputated while they sleep. Omon’s reaction was:

I was struck by horror: where Slava’s legs should have been, the blanket fell straight down in an abrupt step, and the freshly starched blanket cover was stained with red blotches like the marks left on cotton towels by watermelon juice. (33)

From this moment, absurdity piles upon absurdity as Pelevin puts forth a scathing critique of governments, bureaucracies, military organizations, and other power structures. I thought the book bogged down a little bit during the training period of the cosmonauts, but it certainly picked up again when the rocket “took off.” There we saw Omon and the other cosmonauts facing their mortality and learned the big secret that the whole Soviet space program was a farce.

The section that I wish that I understood better is the “reincarnation check” one.  Pelevin (and the translator) demonstrate some virtuoso writing in Mitiok’s monologue, showing his “journey” from the Sumerian Ninhursag to the Roman Sextius to the Nazi Vögel von Richthofen. The monologue is rich with symbolism (mirrors, caps, gods, modes of transportation) that carries from speaker to speaker and culture to culture, which indicates Pelevin’s depth of cultural knowledge.

I wish I understood the importance of the “reincarnation check” in the Soviet space program. I’m surprised that the Soviets in this book would believe in reincarnation especially since the program’s underpinnings of scientific atheism are so much in the forefront. Also, I don’t understand why Mitiok failed this reincarnation check and was killed. Clearly, he was not killed because he had been reincarnated because Omon had been reincarnated too. When Omon is returned to his room, the warrant officers say “Here, take back your Egyptian” (75). While this statement could just be a reference to Omon’s adopted last name Ra, it seems to indicate that one of Omon’s former lives was Egyptian. Perhaps the reason that Mitiok fails is that one of his incarnations is “Nazi scum” (32). Other readers, what are your thoughts on this section?

2. Themes

The main themes as I see them are:

a) a (justified) distrust of authority: the cosmonauts are manipulated, mutilated, and murdered so that the government can stage an elaborate farce of space travel and a moon landing.

b) heroism/masculinity: the main way the cosmonauts are manipulated is through the call to heroic action for the Motherland. All of this is very tied up in the performance masculine identity. As a note, the only woman in the whole text is Omon’s aunt. No one seems to have mothers, wives, sisters, etc.

c) mortality: this, of course, is connected to the heroism theme. For these cosmonauts being a hero does not mean risking their lives but instead knowingly giving their lives to the cause of the moon landing.

d) Ra/sun god: See below.

3. Most Interesting Theme

The most obvious theme is, of course, the Amun-Ra theme. Pelevin begins by playing with this theme. Omon’s father names him O. M. O. N. after the acronym for the Russian special police in order to give the boy an advantage in the future: “If you join the police, with a name like that…” (1). I read in a review (sorry I don’t remember where) that this is an anachronism because the OMON were not developed until after the space race and could not have been Omon’s father’s inspiration when Omon was born.

Besides the anachronistic OMON, the title reflects the Egyptian god Amun-Ra. The appellation Amun-Ra really reflects a composite god Amun (the creator god) and Ra (the sun god). Each had a geographical area of importance and as Egypt became a more cohesive kingdom, the worship of these gods combined; however, from what I have read, the stories attached to each god remained distinct. Therefore, each god was seen as an aspect of the deity. Amun was the hidden god, connected with hidden power, things that exist outside the natural world. An ancient Egyptian writing about him says: “He is too secret to uncover his awesomeness, he is too great to investigate, too powerful to know” (qtd. in The Way to Eternity, Barnes and Noble Books, 29). (He sounds a bit like the U.S.S.R. in its height, doesn’t he? or maybe Amun is the OMON?) Ra, however, is the very visible sun god, who is portrayed with the head of a falcon.

Omon never mentions any connection with Amun, the hidden god, but finds a connection with Ra, through this falcon connection: “Probably I liked him because he had a falcon’s head, and pilots and cosmonauts and all sorts of heroes were often called falcons” (68).  Using one of his aunt’s books as a source, Omon copies down Ra’s story:

In the morning Ra, illuminating the earth, sails along the heavenly Nile on the barque Manjet; in the evening he transfers to the barque Mesektet and descends into the underworld, where he does battle with the forces of darkness as he sails along the nether Nile; and in the morning he reappears on the horizon. (67-8)

He adopts Ra as his last name, as he sees himself as “Omon Ra, the faithful falcon of the Motherland” (69). Ironically, this manifestation of a sun god is being trained to travel to the moon.

Yet, the moon is not the moon, and we can read Ra’s story as a sophisticated foreshadowing of Omon’s discovery of the truth behind the Soviet space program. This Ra does not travel to the moon, but to the “nether Nile” of an abandoned subway track, on his own Mesektet, or moonwalker, where he does indeed “battle with the forces of darkness,” literally and metaphorically. From the beginning of the book, the space program has been surprisingly chthonic. It was physically underground as well as hidden from the public. When Omon realizes the farce behind his beliefs, he begins his journey upward towards the earth, the light and truth. The novel ends with Oman still underground, on a subway, traveling in an unknown direction. Pelevin leaves us with an image of him looking at a map: “I had to decide where to go. I looked up at the metro diagram on the wall beside the emergency-stop handle, and began to work out where exactly on the red line I was” (154). There is hope in this ending because for the first time Omon gets to make his own decisions and work things out for himself.

4. Favorite Moment

There are some really great passages in this book that summarize the Soviet use of dialectic as an avenue to present falsehoods rather than a way to investigate truths. These are the passages that I kept going back to read—most of them are about the construction of a hero.

However, my favorite moment is the one just before Omon tries to kill himself. He remembers the story about the father and son who dress as bears so that Kissinger and the Soviet leaders can shoot at them. The son is killed when Kissinger attacks the “bear” with a knife. The father is forced to lie as if he is dead beside his son, who is bleeding to death, because the Soviets will not give up the façade. Omon says: “and as I pressed the trigger, I suddenly realized beyond a shadow of a doubt that Kissinger had very well known what he was stabbing at” (139). At the moment of his “death,” Omon realizes that he and all of the people of the Soviet Union have been used and exploited to keep up the Soviet façade that its technological advances are equal to those of the United States. The Soviets need to project that they have nuclear and space travel capabilities when in reality they do not. This realization that his leaders are really Kissingers allows him to survive when he awakes and must protect himself from their attacks.

I must admit that I like this book much better since I started writing about it. I appreciate the ways that Pelevin repeats symbols and themes. He provides the reader with clues to the denouement throughout the narrative that only become obvious by moving backwards in the text.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-08-05 6:19 AM (#3932 - in reply to #3926)
Subject: Re: Omon Ra: Outside the Norm Forum

Uber User

Wow Rhonda, you've really started us off with a bang! I've only just now noticed this thread, and don't have time at present to even attempt to do justice to your great post, but I should be able to get some thoughts in order and have something posted tomorrow.
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-08-05 12:25 PM (#3939 - in reply to #3926)

Uber User

I'll also go through Rhonda's analysis more carefully soon, but I wanted to note one aspect that stood out the most for me. It's related to Rhonda's comments about her favorite moments...

The most interesting aspect of the story to me was considering what it would have been like to be a child in the Soviet Union during the later Soviet period, when it was becoming clear to people that the world described in their ideology didn't match the world they could see in reality. (I think this is the significance of the scene in which Omon's aunt tells him he has a soul that came from God, but the Soviet atheist's handbook discusses lots of different gods, and she doesn't know which one is the Soviet god, so she just lets him choose his favorite.) In that world, it makes sense that dreaming of the stars might be the only way to reconcile the disconnect and alleviate some of the confusion. "In the blue sky above our heads, up among the thinly scattered stars, there were special, artificial points of gleaming light, creeping unhurriedly through the constellations, points created here in the land of Soviets, among the vomit, empty bottles, and stench of tobacco smoke..." (p. 24) The sense of betrayal and confusion must have been strong for people of Pelevin's generation, and it gets emphasized in the book through the absurd exaggeration of the USSR's impotence. Along with the fake space program, I think it's mentioned at one point that they really have no nuclear weapons!

As an American, it's worth remembering that, while the Soviets had reason to exaggerate their capabilities in order to maintain their status in the world and keep their own people on the "communist" bandwagon, we fell for it, too, and actually helped them by promoting the idea that they were a powerful threat. Back in the early '80s, I read a book called "The Skeptical Threat" (or something like that, I can't remember the author or locate the book at the moment). It provided much evidence for the idea that the Soviet threat was being exaggerated (or just misunderstood) by the U.S. intelligence apparatus, in part to justify its own existence/budget, but also to give the Reagan administration the ability to look tough against the enemy (which played pretty well domestically). Of course, this was egged on by the corporations making big bucks from the arms race. The result was stockpiles of nuclear weapons sufficient to destroy all life on earth many times over. At the time, this sort of argument was dismissed by the mainstream as left wing claptrap, but it ended up being accurate. None of the intelligence agencies understood the true economic weakness of the USSR, or predicted its demise.

I also missed the reason for Mitiok flunking the test, I'm afraid. That was the main question I had about the book...
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-08-06 8:30 AM (#3947 - in reply to #3926)
Subject: RE: Omon Ra: Outside the Norm Forum

Uber User

I've found myself rereading the book a second time, both to further appreciate the points made above, as well as to try to clarify my thinking about what I think is a fifth main theme (which I'm still working on articulating).  In so doing, I've come to realize just how dense and carefully constructed the book is.  It's really quite something, especially considering that it's a book that can be enjoyably breezed through in a couple of hours.  Everything is linked and every little detail seems to have a meaning, even though we may not understand what that meaning is (with cultural differences sometimes being a further barrier).

Lastly, it really goes without saying, but I'll say it anyhow: Omon Ra is an absurdist masterpiece!  (Absurd is a word I'll be using a lot when talking about this book.  The whole book is screamingly funny but in such a dead-pan way.

I've done some general web research on the Soviet space program and found a few things that may be of interest:

The Wikipedia article shows that the actual Soviet program had a strong absurdist side to it, one that surely inspired Pelevin in the writing of Omon Ra (see the Internal competition and After Korolyov sections).

Amusingly, it also turns out that the Soviets have their own inverted version of our own Moon landing conspiracy theories. The Soviet version is Lost Cosmonauts, cosmonauts launched but never acknowledged.  Again, Pelevin and his Russian readers surely know of these theories, theories that add a yet another dimension to the absurdity of Omon Ra.

Cosmonauts Number Zero, an article from the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (May 1994) by Nina Chugunova is a fascinating and heart wrenching "inside story" of Soviet "Space test pilots", who were for all intents and purposes subjects for extreme and horrific medical tests.  The article also provides some broader context, briefly examining Soviet views on heroism (Overcoming impossible conditions was considered good for the soul) and the space program (The adventure in the cosmos was supposed to present an exact image of the nation, like an anniversary portrait - and always an ideal image on the Soviet television screen.  In essence, space had replaced religion).  And then there's this from a survivor's notebook: It is better to fly like a falcon for half a year than to crawl like a turtle through a lifetime.

Some other cultural tidbit's I've turned up from ever-useful Wikipedia: 

Alexey Maresyev (31) (also mentioned in Cosmonauts Number Zero) really was a celebrated war hero who continued to shoot down Nazis even after losing his feet.

... a glimpse of a sight from some long-ago summer of my schooldays - the archways of the shop Children's World by the Lubyanka. (38Lubyanka is the KGB headquarters/prison, located across the street from the popular toy store Children's World (another name for Lubanka is "Adult's World" because of this proximity).  Later, when starting the chapter on page 51, I think most Moscovites know perfectly well what's going on deep below their feet during those hours when they're queuing at the Children's World  we learn that the underground rocket training center is located deep within the KGB's torture complex.

The Kalinka dance mentioned several times (37, 48) as being performed by men who have had their feet removed is actually famously rambunctious and involves much squatting and kicking - absurd to picture such men attempting it!  Ironically, the dance, a traditional and iconic dance, is a celebration of life, love and human ingenuity.

BTW, the end of the Kalinka passage on pg 48 in which the typical fate of trainee pilots is explained (A third us us take to drink, and another third ... end up committing suicide) is borne out in Cosmonauts Number Zero:  Almost all resorted to the "traditional Russian method of fighting anguish and depression" - drinking.  ...  Boris Pashkin hanged himself. Igor Dikov threw himself out the window.

Going back to Rhonda's excellent intro, I'll just touch on a few things for now:

That "reincarnation check", yes, hmmm.  I suppose that an obvious and simplistic answer might be that it's Pelevin's absurdist version of some sort of idiological "purity test".  Another would be that it's related to actual medical tests that actual cosmonauts had to pass (Cosmonauts Number Zero shows pilots being subjected to a "vestibular probe" test).  Neither of these explanations even begins to justify the attention that Pelevin devotes to this section of the text.  My best guess is that it has something to do with Pelevin's interest in Buddhism.  Anyhow, Mitiok doomed himself early on when he wanted to punch the ugly face of the man who designed the rocket with the man sealed inside (16).

Another thing that mystified me was the episode with the tortured Japanese pilot (93) and cosmonaut dog Laika (94).  It was so... random.

The explication of Amun-Ra was so insightful and helpful - thanks!!!  So much of that went clean over my head.

A favorite moment for me was:  ... touched me so profoundly I almost wept, and at these moments I stopped thinking that all Communists were cunning, mean, and self-serving (57).

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-06 4:08 PM (#3950 - in reply to #3926)

Uber User

Thanks for all of the links, Engelbrect. Cosmonauts Number Zero was especially interesting. You are right in that Maresyev is very important to the Soviet Space program that Pelevin depicts. One of my favorite lines now (that I did not get on the first read) occurs when Oman and Mitiok are pulled from the first training school to enter the KGB space program. The Comrade Flight Leader says "so you'll have to wait a bit before you become Real Men," meaning we will/can cut your legs off later, and referring to the book about Maresyev, The Story of a Real Man by Polevoi (pages 36 and 30).

Have you read Babylon or Generation P or Homo Sapiens (the book seems to have lots of names) also by Pelevin? My wiki research tells me that that book might help us understand more about the Sumerian/Mesopotamian issues in Omon Ra. Anyway, one more to add to the list, I guess.
jfrantz
Posted 2012-08-06 11:47 PM (#3951 - in reply to #3926)

Wow, you all have covered a lot of ground! I was a little behind in starting this book, even though I received it with ample time to finish and then I took quite a while to finish it even though it was so short. As you all have pointed out it could have been breezed through, but there was so much depth there I was afraid I'd miss something (which I did a lot anyway).I'll try to touch on a couple of the issues you all have brought up before I discuss my favorite issue.

First, I fell victim to the reincarnation scene as did most of us. Not only did I struggle to understand why Mitiok had failed, but throughout his entire monologue I was absolutely positive that there were some secrets to unlock in there and I just felt so inadequate for not being able to divine any of them out of that frenzied torrent. I don't like to be hand fed, but I really struggled with this section and I was a little surprised at how much time Pelevin was willing to give it. I think that just illustrates my complete incomprehension of the section more than anything though...

My absolute favorite was the coming of age theme and I actually kind of lumped this in with Rhonda's "(justified) distrust of authority" theme. I understand that the distrust of authority is a specific reaction to the history of the space program and soviet leadership, but I also saw it as part and parcel with coming of age issues. This element really spoke to me for a number of reasons. I noticed, as Rhonda pointed out, that there are very few parental figures in general (especially females). In fact, it is the space program (and its leadership) that really fills that role. I thought this lent to a really interesting transition from the moments when the still young Omon is simply beginning to question his blind enthusiasm for his childhood dream (how could a child make sense of an inescapable airplane?!) to those outright absurd and horrifying moments of realization that not only was the space program (and the soviet leadership in general) entirely suspect and false, but also that his childhood dreams were based on a completely baseless understanding of, and trust in, the world.

It was maybe not a theme that was the most challenging to pull out, but touched me deepest. The moments when Omon struggles to make sense of incongruities which inexorably point to the failures of the real world to live up to his (our) most honest and earnest desires were really tough to get through and while Omon clearly recognized these failures, he also struggled with how to respond and react to his experiences in flight school which really rocked his entire worldview. In spite of his distrust and inability to explain or even face up to his experiences (the amputation or Mitiok's removal) he was completely unable to cope other than to remove his consciousness from the pain (at least that's how I interpreted the sudden and heavy sleep). The deadpan delivery (as someone called it) of those most absurd moments lent to a really depressing but intellectually stimulating read and I'm glad to have participated. This is a book that I will surely read many times over and get something new every time.

I'm sorry if my thoughts haven't been very clear, I wanted to get my thoughts up here before it was too late but I'll continue to contribute and hopefully more clearly. One last thought though... one of my favorite books in high school was Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest." From start to finish, I couldn't shake the comparison, not only of the writing style but some of the themes involved. It's been a while since I've read it thought so I'm wondering if anyone else made the same or similar comparisons.

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-07 7:21 AM (#3954 - in reply to #3926)

Uber User

Jeremy,
Good catch with Cuckoo's Nest! Your comments on intertexuality and coming-of-age stories reminded me of something I thought about while reading. When Omon emerges from the abandoned subway tunnel he comes through a wardrobe into a "soundstage" filming another aspect of a space mission. Pelevin mentions this wardrobe several times, and I started thinking about the scene as a kind of reverse-Narnia allusion. Instead of the Pevensie kids entering the wardrobe and exiting into a fantasy world, Omon moves in the reverse direction through the wardrobe from a fantasy world to reality.
Does anyone else remember other literary allusions?
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-08-08 4:15 AM (#3957 - in reply to #3926)

Uber User

@ Rhonda:  I've read most of what's been translated of Pelevin, including Babylon/Homo Zapiens twice by accident, having purchased and read it under each title.     It's been nine years I last read it, so my memories of it are pretty fuzzy and unhelpful, but it's my other favorite of his, joining Omon Ra, which I've liked even better with rereading and with the insights here.  Really, almost all of his books are great:  Buddha's Little Finger/The Clay Machine-Gun, The Sacred Book of the Werewolf, The Helmet of Horror:  The Myth of Theseus and the Minotaur, Hall of the Singing Caryatids, The Yellow Arrow, all great.  The Life of Insects and The Blue Lantern (a collection, of which 4 by Pelevin is a subset) were good but not great.  A Werewolf Problem in Central Russia and Other Stories (collection) is being saved for a rainy day...

Back to the "reincarnation check" issue, I've come up with a crazy theory.  What if Mitiok is a Christ figure?  There are a variety of gods and god figures sprinkled throughout the text: Ra himself, the Sumerian gods (I Wikied them, but had no epiphanies), Lenin (like some incorporeal god rippling across the surface of the world which he had created (14) (perhaps more on the oft cited Lenin in another post)); Christ could easily be another.

Some possible clues:

Mitiok filled the glass ... with a dark-red liquid and held it out to me. (22) (last supper).

In the Roman section of Mitiok's reincarnation session, when he is Sextius, there's a bit that connects him to Christianity:  he really is from Galilee, that Maximus.  They meet at his house and breathe some kind of smoke.  Then he goes up on the roof wearing nothing but his sandals and crows like a cock - as soon as I saw it I knew they were Christians (84) (a St. Peter allusion?).  Later, Sextius is told This is your place, under the marble lamb (85) (sacrifice).

This is the bit that feels the weakest - I don't really understand what's going on here.  Pelevin carefully dates this Roman reincarnation section to about 100 AD through references to Domitian (83) and Nerva (84), but I'm not sure of the significance.  The person he is speaking to (his inquisitor?) can read a man's heart (83) and wears a Phrygian cap (86), where, according to Wikipedia, In late Republican Rome, the cap of freedmen served as a symbol of freedom from tyranny.  Again, I'm not quite sure how this all fits together.

The words "reincarnation check" could themselves be a clue - perhaps they are are checking to see if one of their prospective cosmonauts is Christ reincarnated?  The reincarnation check is conducted by a man dressed in a strange black robe (74), as are the warrent officers who bring back Omon after the test, saying Here, take back your Egyptian (75), who here are almost certainly refering to Omon in his Amun-Ra identity.  The robes clearly have some sort of religious/ceremonial meaning.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, there's this from the blind Colonel Urchagin to Omon on Mitiok: I know how hard it was for you to lose your friend and learn that ever since you were a child you had been ... arm in arm with a cunning and experienced enemy - I won't even pronounce his name (149).  The Communist party (and Lenin) were famously antipathetic to religion.  Throughout the book, whenever gods are mentioned, even in innocuous figures of speech, Communist party figures challenge the speaker (even when "Sextius" says glory be to Isis and Serepis (84) (further reinforcing the idea that this dialog is occurring with his Communist inquisitor)).  Why can't his name be spoken?  The only explanation that makes any sense to me is that Mitiok is Christ.

What do you all think of this theory?

On other literary allusions, I think I'm on fairly firm ground in thinking that Alice in Wonderland is repeatedly referenced here, in both a surrealistic "down the rabbit hole" (and out again) manner, but especially with the consumption of food and drink (the boiled fruit say EAT ME, EAT ME). 

That's enough for now, but more on this anon...

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-08 7:11 PM (#3963 - in reply to #3957)

Uber User

Apologies for whatever formatting appears below. I wrote a response in Word and pasted it in. Then I saw that all the apostrophes and quotation marks were gone, so I used the edit function. Then all the formatting when away went I reposted. There were all sorts of html-y things. So whatever happens below. I do know how to use apostrophes!

@Engelbrecht

I read your post this morning and have been thinking about it all day. Let me see if I can interpret what you are saying in this way: The Soviets believe that each life is a consciousness that is available to be reincarnated—with several stops along a continuum. Pelevin shows this consciousness’s stops in the Near Eastern stop (Sumer? Akkadia?)  A further stop down the continuum is Christ (but we don’t see that one). However, Pelevin lets the readers know that Sextius is the next reincarnation of this Christ consciousness by the situation in time (late first century CE) and by the textual references to Christ. The final stop that the readers see is a very un-Christ-like member of the Nazi Party. While this seems very counter intuitive to those of us in the Western world, Christianity and fascism are the big enemies of communism.  Mixing this continuum with your Mitiok passages of his Christ echoes that you’ve offered, would you say that this is where you were going?

I’m still puzzling over the first stop. Do you think that Ninhursag could be a traitor? or a misbehaving slave? Here’s how I read this section: There is definitely a change in the power structure in this section. On page 80, “It was Queen Shubad herself who garrisoned the troops here, as protection against Meskalamdug.” And then on the next page: “Our prince is a prince no longer, but the great king Abaraggi!”  At this point, Ninhursag and Namtura seem to move up in society. Ninhursag becomes the Nuun of the great king. (I can’t find a definition of that word. I tried the OED.)  Then he is taken to a cave and given beer. He awakes in the North Tower (in prison?) and is asking its lord to intercede for him and to “tell them what happened” (82). He refuses to give away his seal. He begs again and then we get the story of Ninlil and Enlil, the Sumerian creation myth, which dovetails into the discussion of Hecate and Selene (the moon goddesses).

The mentioning of ears being cut off is what brings me to the idea of a slave (but he says he is a priest and a Nuun, whatever that is. Can slaves be either? I doubt it.). However, he says on page 81 “I was sitting with Namtura—you know him, his ears were cut off—“ Later, he says “No, I never offered any sacrifices, either. Don’t. I am now the Nuun of the great king Abaraggi, it is not such a simple matter to have my ears cut off, you need a royal decree” (81). The code of Hammurabi says that if a slave denies that his master is his master then his ears will be cut off. Also if a slave hits his master, then his ears will be cut off. Maybe traitors were treated the same way. However, the second passage seems to allude to the fact that at one point the Lord of the North Tower could have cut off Ninhursag’s ears, but now Ninhursag’s status as Nuun means he needs a royal decree.

I’ve noticed another thing through my umpteenth rereading of this section. Mitiok and his previous selves almost always use the wrong oaths, which might show that they are not really a part of the current program, always outsiders in some way.

At the beginning of his interview, Mitiok says “All those skulls on the shelves, my God—lined up just like books. And all with labels, look…No, I didn’t mean that” (78). Is his interviewer asking him about his oath and he says he doesn’t mean it as a real oath?  Later he says “It’s just a turn of phrase I picked up from my grandmother. I’m a scientific atheist” (79). The interviewer must have asked him about it again.

In the Akkadian section, the worship much have changed with the change of ruler: “Great Urshu! I thought. I mean, Great Anu!” (82) and then “No one gives away their own seal, by U…Anu the Intercessor!” (82-83). In the Roman section,  “how the times have changed, glory be to Isis and Serapis! It’s no accident… Why no, what do you mean, Father Senator, I swear by Hercules! I picked that up in Athens, the place is just packed with Egyptians” (84).  He slips one other time and catches himself as he did before.

Finally in the Nazi section, he swears by the Holy Virgin Mary and must explain: “it’s just that I lived in Italy as a child.” (87). In all four incarnations, he displays some sort of devotion to the “wrong” religion, which could be a danger to each state. Perhaps his plausible reasons for adopting wrong gods/oaths show that he is very suggestible and imprecise in his speech, which might show a weakness in character. Perhaps he is the wrong kind of suggestible that the Soviet program wants.

I wasn’t planning on writing this long thing, but the more I wrote the faster the ideas came. (I wish I could get my students to believe this is true when I tell them to “just write&rdquo.

DrNefario
Posted 2012-08-15 7:59 AM (#3990 - in reply to #3926)

Uber User

I haven't managed to contribute here yet, although I've read everyone else's thoughts with interest. I often feel there are levels to things that I completely overlook, but I guess it's almost always the story that I am actually interested in.

I didn't know what to make of Omon Ra when I finished it. I was expecting something a lot lighter. Instead the humour was the bleak, manic laughter of Catch-22. There were some great sections. I read the second half of the book in one sitting, and the actual mission was quite gripping, but I couldn't escape the feeling that Omon himself was disconnected. He was reporting everything without, most of the time, appearing to feel any of it.

I'm not sure I especially liked it, ultimately. I didn't really dislike it, but neither did it really get through to me. I've read quite a lot of lightweight fiction this year, and it's nice to have read something with a bit of heft (if not physically ), but it hasn't inspired me to seek out more of Pelevin's work.
Emil
Posted 2012-08-17 3:39 AM (#3995 - in reply to #3990)

Uber User

I've finally managed to finish Omon Ra. Even being a relatively quick read, I took my time, and more often than not had to re-read certain passages. Overall I had a difficult time assimilating the narrative. It's most assuredly absurd in nature, a coming-of-age story and an overt criticism of Soviet communism and heroism. I concur with all the observations above, may even see @Engelbrecht's "Rabbit hole" and like @lfrants really enjoyed the final quarter of the book with regards to Omon's growth. Jeremy said it the best:

The moments when Omon struggles to make sense of incongruities which inexorably point to the failures of the real world to live up to his (our) most honest and earnest desires were really tough to get through and while Omon clearly recognized these failures, he also struggled with how to respond and react to his experiences in flight school which really rocked his entire worldview.

Against this background I just love the way the book ends with that wonderful final paragraph:

I had to decide where to go. I looked up the metro diagram on the wall beside the emergency-stop handle, and began to work out where exactly on the red line I was.

It cements to me the whole experience of illusion and I can't help but wonder if the whole narrative in itself isn't just that: one big illusion. Did any of it really happen? I recall an earlier telling from Omon's childhood, cleverly placed by the older Omon-the-narrator in the beginning of the book about Omon imagining flying a plane, and his surprise at just how convincing the illusion was. Clearly Omon has special powers, because he can create illusions. In the process Pelevin comes to reject the notion of the "dead-hero" but on the counter does accept the notion of romantic heroism. The Soviet state does not provide Omon with the object of his desire, which is outer space. Yet, as I would interpret this whole coming-of-age theme, and particularly the notion of disillusionment, Omon does not really need this desire catered for because he really had it all along - as a child he was able to see outer space even if he knew it was all illusion. There is some magical fantasy in this (something I experienced with Jo Walton's Among Others as well). When the space fantasy fails for Omon he has the ability to transform the space around him to recover some authenticity, so wonderfully expressed in that final paragraph (somewhere he the book he does ask "Who am I"). Stripped off the Soviet notion of heroism, we are only left with the romantic core. Omon did not go to space, but guess what - he did not need to, for he was there all the time: outer space being a metaphor for the dysfunctional Soviet system. There is a magical little scene when Omon finds himself under the "spacestation", surrounded by the garbage cans. What a truly magical image of deconstruction and satire. Here is the one, true image of the Soviet experience, a truly sublime metaphor, stripped of its ideology.

There are so much in this short text to consider, and it really warrants a re-read and closer inspection. I also feel like @DrNefario that I missed out on so many cultural references, either because of the difficulty in translating those, or just because of genuine lack of understanding (and experience) of Soviet culture. I do believe the book is a lot more than mere criticism of the Soviet space program. There are all these allusion to "light" and "dark," and gods and myths, that still boggles my mind. There are also many significant passages that probably explains the true nature of the novel, which needs careful study themselves. Again, this paragraph is just astounding:

... all my life I've been journeying towards the moment when I would soar up over the crowds of what the slogans called the workers and the peasants, the soldiers and the intelligentsia, and now here I am hanging in brilliant blackness on the visible threads of fate and trajectory - and now I see that becoming a heavenly body is not much different from serving a life sentence in a prison carriage that travels round and round a circular railway line without ever stopping.

See? See what Pelevin did there! All just an illusion in which everyone appears to be trapped in. Remember the short dialogue between Omon and Dima about catching pigeons under the box? Spare a thought for those first, second and third stage guys! I wonder if they really burned alive, or if some Real Man shot them just after they supposedly pressed the red buttons?

Actually, I'm thinking this story has nothing to do with the Soviet space program at all. And is it science fiction?

Determinism. Totalitarianism. Choice. Man, these things are in abundance! We can go on forever. This is where I miss sitting down with some like-minded people with cups of coffee, spending hours sitting and discussion these elements.

@Rhonda, the reincarnation test also bowled me out, or as you would say in the States, strike me out. It must be of huge significance, specifically in terms of the heroism notion, for Omon - towards the final pages of the book - recalls his last day on earth and the discussion he had with Colonel Urchagin, and this reference to what I think could only be Mitiok:

I know how hard it was for you to lose your friend and learn that ever since you were a child you had been approaching your moment of immortality arm in arm with a cunning and experience enemy - I won't even pronounce his name. But remember a certain conversation at which the three of us were present, when he said: 'What does it matter what thought a man dies with? We're materialists, after all.' You remember I said that after he dies a man live on in the fruit of his deeds. But there is something else I didn't say, something even more important. Remember, Omon, although man, of course, has no soul, every soul is a universe. That's the dialectic. And as long as there is a single soul in which our cause lives and conquers, that cause will never die."

Somewhere in this, and in the detail of the tape recording that Omon listens to of Mitiok's reincarnation test must be the answer. I can't find it. What is clear is that whatever transpired with Mitiok marked him as an enemy of the state, to be immediately exterminated. They don't even want to mention his name! Could it be that his notion of heroism differed remarkably from that of the Soviets? I know too little about all the gods and mythos Pelevin applies in those pages to fully understand, or appreciate the significance of the reincarnation test, and how Mitiok's idea of heroism were so banal that it warranted his termination. I also don't know what to make of the Real Men. I'm missing something here, I fear.

Anyway, ultimately for me the book is about the journey of the soul. Who am I? That's one question. In a Buddhist sense, the one answer could be: the world is nothing but just my impression.

Enough for now.
jfrantz
Posted 2012-08-20 9:01 AM (#4010 - in reply to #3926)

Something that has bothering me since reading and after reading and re-reading everyone's discussion about the reincarnation test was a brief statement to Omon that Mitiok had been "the enemy". I certainly don't rule out any of the mythological symbolism but that specific way of mentioning that he had been living with the enemy all this time has stuck in my head and won't let go.

So I've been wondering for a couple days now (and haven't really had time to go back and re-read that section so if I'm forgetting something please correct me) if it is possible that the reincarnation check was some kind of absurd McCarthyism? They are about to stage an elaborate hoax and possibly kill some of the young men involved, and maybe they give this kind of truth serum to see if anything unexpected will come out in the wash. Mitiok goes off the path of orthodoxy and WHAM, he must be a spy or traitor or deviant or something. I'm trying to recall if they specifically say he was killed or if that was just the assumption? With so many mythological and literary references in there, witch-hunt aspect would only be one element but I don't think it would necessarily clash with any of the other themes any of you have pulled out of that section.

Am I way off base?
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-21 2:25 PM (#4012 - in reply to #3926)

Uber User

Jeremy,

I think that you are totally "on base." Mitiok's tendency toward religion and always toward the wrong religions would make him seem rebellious to the orthodoxies that they wanted to impose.

I was not sure that Mitiok was killed until the officer in the wheelchair confirms it to Oman. This is very late in the book.
Emil
Posted 2012-08-21 3:11 PM (#4013 - in reply to #4012)

Uber User

I understand a little better about the reincarnation test. Thanks Jeremy and Rhonda.
jfrantz
Posted 2012-08-21 7:10 PM (#4016 - in reply to #4012)

I couldn't remember if that was confirmed, but the fact that it was does make me question if it was really the soviets performing some last check for traitors. I don't know... Ultimately though I guess it is the mystery about this section that makes it so intriguing.
Emil
Posted 2012-08-22 2:12 AM (#4018 - in reply to #4016)

Uber User

Perhaps the entire reincarnation sequence it's just a straightforward allegorical criticism of the haphazard manner by which the Soviets discarded cosmonauts. If a cosmonaut showed evidence of having a previous life of some short, he's out, not just out of the program, but life entirely. People just carried on the next day after Mitiok's dismissal as if nothing happened. This type of dismissal, of supposed unsavory characters with questionable backgrounds, is for me quite universal. It only makes sense to me viewed as extreme criticism of the disposal of cosmonauts that doesn't "fit" with the establishment. That is quite a universal theme about the rejection of "difference" that we still see everywhere in the world and is certainly not only the reserve of the Soviet era. Heavens, I could draw some far-stretching parallels with my own country and its previous, archaic and monstrous apartheid regime. We also excommunicated 'our cosmonauts" even to the point of people disappearing into unmarked graves.

Rhonda, I think there are quite a few research possibilities from the reincarnation sequence alone? Will we be seeing an academic article
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-22 8:35 AM (#4019 - in reply to #3926)

Uber User

Emil, I must admit that I've downloaded about 6 articles from research databases on Oman Ra, but I I have not had time to read them! Since I don't know Russian, I'm not sure how far I might get in an academic setting, but I'm still thinking about writing something for here.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)