First World Fantasy Awards
|Series:||World Fantasy Awards: Book 1|
1. First World Fantasy Awards
|Avg Member Rating:||
A wondrous anthology of fantasy and horror commemorating the First World Fantasy Convention held in 1975 in Providence, Rhode Island--the birthplace of H. P. Lovecraft, master of the macabre.
Here are the winners of the first "Howard Awards" (busts of the venerable Lovecraft himself)--the top honor to be bestowed for excellence in the field of the fantastic, be it short stories, novels, collections, non-fiction, art, or publishing.
Included in this collection is the work of such masters as Robert Bloch, Patricia A. McKillip, and Robert Aickman; British writer Karl Edward Wagner, artist Lee Brown Coye, and Manly Wade Wellman. As well as panel discussions, winners' acceptance speeches, even a mini-treatise, "Toward a Greater Appreciation of H. P. Lovecraft." All overseen and hosted by a winning toastmaster, cartoonist and author Gahan Wilson.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction - (1977) - essay by Gahan Wilson
- The Convention - (1977) - essay by Kirby McCauley
- About the Fantasy Awards - (1977) - essay by David G. Hartwell
- The Awards - (1977) - essay by Gahan Wilson
- The Bat Is My Brother - (1944) - short story by Robert Bloch
- Beetles - (1938) - short story by Robert Bloch
- Acceptance Speech - (1977) - essay by Robert Bloch
- About Robert Bloch - (1977) - essay by uncredited
- The Forgotten Beasts of Eld (Excerpt) - (1974) - short fiction by Patricia A. McKillip
- An Essay - (1977) - essay by Robert Aickman
- Pages from a Young Girl's Journal - (1973) - novelette by Robert Aickman
- The Events at Poroth Farm - (1972) - novella by T. E. D. Klein
- A Father's Tale - (1974) - novelette by Sterling E. Lanier
- Sticks - (1974) - novelette by Karl Edward Wagner
- Come Into My Parlor - (1949) - short story by Manly Wade Wellman
- Fearful Rock - (1939) - novella by Manly Wade Wellman
- About Manly Wade Wellman - (1977) - essay by uncredited
- The Ballantines - (1977) - essay by uncredited
- Lee Brown Coye // An Appreciation - (1974) - essay by Gahan Wilson
- The Bait - (1973) - short story by Fritz Leiber
- The Vampire in America - (1973) - essay by Manly Wade Wellman
- The Shortest Way - (1974) - short story by David Drake
- From "Chips and Shavings" - (1963) - essay by Lee Brown Coye
- The Soft Wall - (1974) - short story by Dennis Etchison
- Toward a Greater Appreciation of H. P. Lovecraft: The Analytical Approach - (1973) - essay by Dirk W. Mosig
- Cradle Song for an Abandoned Werewolf - (1973) - poem by H. Warner Munn
- The Abandoned Boudoir - (1974) - poem by Joseph Payne Brennan
- Guillotine - (1970) - poem by Walter Shedlofsky
- The Farmhouse - (1971) - short story by David A. Riley
No excerpt currently exists for this novel.
There are currently no reviews for this novel. Be the first to submit one! You must be logged in to submit a review in the BookTrackr section above.
No alternate cover images currently exist for this novel.