The Space Opera Renaissance
|Author:||David G. Hartwell
Orb Books, 2007
This book does not appear to be part of a series. If this is incorrect, and you know the name of the series to which it belongs, please let us know.
|Avg Member Rating:||
"Space opera", once a derisive term for cheap pulp adventure, has come to mean something more in modern SF: compelling adventure stories told against a broad canvas, and written to the highest level of skill. Indeed, it can be argued that the "new space opera" is one of the defining streams of modern SF.
Now, World Fantasy Award-winning anthologists David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer have compiled a definitive overview of this subgenre, both as it was in the days of the pulp magazines, and as it has become in 2005. Included are major works from genre progenitors like Jack Williamson and Leigh Brackett, stylish midcentury voices like Cordwainer Smith and Samuel R. Delany, popular favorites like David Drake, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Ursula K. Le Guin, and modern-day pioneers such as Iain M. Banks, Steven Baxter, Scott Westerfeld, and Charles Stross.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: How Shit Became Shinola: Definition and Redefinition of Space Opera - (2006) - essay by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer
- The Star Stealers - (1929) - novelette by Edmond Hamilton
- The Prince of Space - (1931) - novella by Jack Williamson
- Enchantress of Venus - (1949) - novella by Leigh Brackett
- The Swordsmen of Varnis - (1950) - short story by Clive Jackson
- The Game of Rat and Dragon - (1955) - short story by Cordwainer Smith
- Empire Star - (1966) - novel by Samuel R. Delany
- Zirn Left Unguarded, the Jenghik Palace in Flames, Jon Westerley Dead - (1972) - short story by Robert Sheckley
- Temptation - (1999) - novella by David Brin
- Ranks of Bronze - (1975) - short story by David Drake
- Weatherman - (1990) - novella by Lois McMaster Bujold
- A Gift from the Culture - (1987) - short story by Iain M. Banks
- Orphans of the Helix - (1999) - novelette by Dan Simmons
- The Well Wishers - (1997) - novella by Colin Greenland
- Escape Route - (1997) - novella by Peter F. Hamilton
- Ms. Midshipwoman Harrington - (2001) - novella by David Weber
- Aurora in Four Voices - (1998) - novella by Catherine Asaro
- Ring Rats - (2002) - novella by R. Garcia y Robertson
- The Death of Captain Future - - (1995) - novella by Allen Steele
- A Worm in the Well - (1995) - novelette by Gregory Benford
- The Survivor - (1991) - novel by Donald Kingsbury
- Fool's Errand - (1993) - short story by Sarah Zettel
- The Shobies' Story - (1990) - novelette by Ursula K. Le Guin
- The Remoras - (1994) - novelette by Robert Reed
- Recording Angel - (1995) - novelette by Paul J. McAuley
- The Great Game - (2003) - short story by Stephen Baxter
- Lost Sorceress of the Silent Citadel - (2002) - novelette by Michael Moorcock
- Space Opera - (1997) - short story by Michael Kandel
- Grist - (1998) - novella by Tony Daniel
- The Movements of Her Eyes - (2000) - novelette by Scott Westerfeld
- Spirey and the Queen - (1996) - novelette by Alastair Reynolds
- Bear Trap - (2000) - novelette by Charles Stross
- Guest Law - (1997) - novelette by John C. Wright
No excerpt currently exists for this novel. Be the first to submit one!
There are currently no reviews for this novel. Be the first to submit one! You must be logged in to submit a review in the BookTrackr section above.
No alternate cover images currently exist for this novel. Be the first to submit one!