open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Indecision may or may not be my problem." - Jimmy Buffett
- (Added by: Administrator)

Great stories not on screen
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

hihik
Posted 2010-05-17 3:07 PM (#2060 - in reply to #1852)
Subject: Re: Great stories not on screen

Regular

ontopic blogpost and nice discussion in the comments - http://scifiwire.com/2010/05/the-10-most-awesome-sci-f.php#more
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MT in Austin
Posted 2010-05-17 6:33 PM (#2062 - in reply to #1852)

Just finished Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman. It would make a great film combining CGI with real actors.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-17 10:50 PM (#2064 - in reply to #2060)

Admin

@hihik:  There are some good ones on that list.  Rama seems like a great choice for the movie treatment.  The studios like any excuse to do some great special effects and the story is simple enough.  No Ender's Game on that list which is surprising to me.

@MT in Austin:  I've not read Forever Peace but I could certainly see a film version of some of Haldeman's other works like Camouflage or The Accidental Time Machine on the big screen for the same reasons as Rama.  Simple stories with lots of opportunities to show off some special effects.  A shape-shifting alien running amok as an evil Nazi doctor?  Time-traveling guy with no control over where and when he'll end up?  That's the plot to dozens of shows and movies by itself:

• The Time Tunnel
  • Sliders
  • Primer
  • Time Trax
  • Time Cop
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • Journeyman
  • Quantum Leap
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
That list goes on and on.  Hollywood loves them some time travel.

htaccess
Posted 2010-05-17 11:36 PM (#2067 - in reply to #1852)

Veteran

Camouflage is just begging to be made into a film, its reads like Haldeman was imagining it as a film script as he was writing it.
MT in Austin
Posted 2010-05-19 3:06 PM (#2069 - in reply to #2067)

Just finish Camouflage yesterday. I agree, it would make a good movie.

I liked it but not as much as Forever War or Forever Peace.

Edited by MT in Austin 2010-05-19 3:07 PM
hihik
Posted 2010-05-27 10:16 AM (#2096 - in reply to #1852)

Regular

apparently a screenplay is already written for Neuromancer and it will be filmed soon.
and Dave to answer your fears:
One thing Natali can promise is: NO KEANU REEVES. Sorry, dude, you had your day as the cyberpunk. "I hate to say it, but Keanu Reeves is far too old, because Case, the character in the book, is supposed to be 24 years old."

http://scifiwire.com/2010/05/greatest-sci-fi-novel-ever-to-finally-...
Fraa Grant
Posted 2010-05-27 5:00 PM (#2098 - in reply to #1852)

New User

I want to put in that I feel like HBO miniseries are the way to go. A lot of the best SF books would require a ton of CGI and when I watched the making of John Adams, I couldn't believe how much of it was computer generated. For the first time ever, I was watching almost wall-to-wall CGI and wasn't complaining about how phony it looked... I didn't even know it was there most of the time. Hollywood is so dead to me and ninety minutes to two hours doesn't do most books justice.

Having said that, is it just me or is a surprising number of PKD adaptations good, even when they totally butcher the source material? I loved Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, and A Scanner Darkly and... well, I guess four isn't really a "surprising" number, but it is pretty good when you're talking adaptations. I'm not even sure King got four good adaptations out of, what? A hundred?

I'm not sure about Camouflage. I mean, the whole multiple story/time lines thing would probably make a movie producer go, "We need to dumb this down for the summer blockbuster audience." Thus the butchering begins. Same thing for Foundation. I have a feeling they'd compress characters, events, and everything else to make it look more like your average movie. You know: one hero, a smaller time line, etc. A lot of the time, what they come up with didn't even require paying for the rights to the source material. (See: Next and Paycheck, both allegedly based on PKD stories). Also, if Rolland Emmerich has ANYTHING to do with Foundation, it's all over. I'm serious, I have no faith in that guy making a good movie.

I would enjoy a Rendezvous adaptation if it got a super serious director.

My vote goes for The Demolished Man. When I was reading it, the villain made me imagine a fat John Malcovich for some reason.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-27 8:18 PM (#2099 - in reply to #2098)

Admin

Fraa Grant - 2010-05-27 5:00 PM I want to put in that I feel like HBO miniseries are the way to go. A lot of the best SF books would require a ton of CGI and when I watched the making of John Adams, I couldn't believe how much of it was computer generated. For the first time ever, I was watching almost wall-to-wall CGI and wasn't complaining about how phony it looked... I didn't even know it was there most of the time. Hollywood is so dead to me and ninety minutes to two hours doesn't do most books justice.

I am in agreement with this.  HBO has produced some quality series with excellent production values and loads of atmosphere.  If I was to quibble, I'd say they like to sex it up a bit more than is really necessary but really I'm not going to complain too much.   

Having said that, is it just me or is a surprising number of PKD adaptations good, even when they totally butcher the source material? I loved Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, and A Scanner Darkly and... well, I guess four isn't really a "surprising" number, but it is pretty good when you're talking adaptations.

PKD has been a Hollywood darling for a long time.  I like the movies too even though I've never read any of his works.  Seems like there was no reason to do so since they keep on making movies. I know.  I know. I own my shame.  I've got a couple on my list starting with The Man in the High Castle so I'm working on it.

I'm not even sure King got four good adaptations out of, what? A hundred? I'm not sure about Camouflage. I mean, the whole multiple story/time lines thing would probably make a movie producer go, "We need to dumb this down for the summer blockbuster audience." Thus the butchering begins. Same thing for Foundation. I have a feeling they'd compress characters, events, and everything else to make it look more like your average movie. You know: one hero, a smaller time line, etc. A lot of the time, what they come up with didn't even require paying for the rights to the source material. (See: Next and Paycheck, both allegedly based on PKD stories). Also, if Rolland Emmerich has ANYTHING to do with Foundation, it's all over. I'm serious, I have no faith in that guy making a good movie. I would enjoy a Rendezvous adaptation if it got a super serious director. My vote goes for The Demolished Man. When I was reading it, the villain made me imagine a fat John Malcovich for some reason.

You're probably right about the butchering of Camouflage but I think it's a story that could survive the tinkering.  It's not a deep work with a ton of nuance that would get lost in translation.  It's a fun and fast paced read.  Two different aliens hidden among us, one good and one evil, on a collision course of destruction!  It sounds like a summer blockbuster already.  Story and acting would come second to the special effects but that's to be expected.

I'd have a harder time if we were talking about a book like The Sparrow or A Canticle for Leibowitz .  Those are near and dear to my heart and the cuts would be savage and unforgivable.  I'm content to let those play in my head, thanks.  I'm with you on Rama and The Demolished Man.  Those both seem doable to me... in the right hands.  Fingers crossed it's not somebody like Emerich, McG (damn his eyes!) or Bay.

MT in Austin
Posted 2010-06-02 9:31 PM (#2110 - in reply to #1852)

The word out is Pierre Morel will be directing a new Dune movie.
I've liked the movies of his that I have seen although they are all action films -- From Paris with Love (2010) , Taken (2009), District B13 (2006).

I know this is supposed to be books that have not been to the big screen but I would say David Lynch's Dune did not do the story justice and is better off forgotten.
I saw that thing in the theater the week it came out. If I had waited a week, I would have heard how poor it was and saved my $5 (yes, it was only $5).
I read the book and still had trouble following the movie. Especially the parts he added which weren't in the book.
How do you add elements to Dune and leave other important stuff out?
That movie angered me so much I could never watch Twin Peaks. I just couldn't stand to see David Lynch's name on the TV.
Administrator
Posted 2010-06-02 9:56 PM (#2112 - in reply to #2110)

Admin

@MT in Austin: I'm not familiar with Morel but I welcome another Dune movie.  It'll be interesting to see what he brings to the movie.  I understand it's going to be a faithful interpretation of the book and you know the special effect will kick ass.  I hope it's not going to be 3D.  I'm already tired of 3D and I'm not a big fan of the inflated prices they're getting for it either.

I'm quite the opposite of you on the Lynch film.  I've always loved it but it may be that's because I saw the movie long before I ever read the book.  I had no preconceived notions about it at all.  I just read Dune recently, you can see my review in the blog, and found that my familiarity with the movie actually enhanced my enjoyment of the book.

I even liked the SciFi channel version too - also seen before I read the book.  But I know how you feel.  I, Robot was a terrible movie to me because aside from a few names and the Laws of Robotics it did not resemble the book at all.  A book I thoroughly enjoyed.  I think I would have liked the movie just fine if it was called something else.

hihik
Posted 2011-07-19 9:26 AM (#2514 - in reply to #1852)

Regular

Dark Tower got canned - http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/19/us-darktower-idUSTRE76I06...
Administrator
Posted 2011-07-19 9:42 AM (#2516 - in reply to #2514)

Admin

This is disappointing.  I'm interested enough in the series to watch a show based on it but not enough to actually read it myself.  I'm sure there will be mixed reactions from fans.  It's always a hope/fear battle when something you love gets the Hollywood treatment.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)