open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There's no such thing as writing about the future. The future hasn't happened yet." - Joe Haldeman
- (Added by: Emil)

Congrats GMRCers!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-09 9:48 AM (#3669)
Subject: Congrats GMRCers!
Quote Reply

Uber User

Today the 400th book was entered as read: Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness posted by jfranz
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-09 3:02 PM (#3673 - in reply to #3669)
Subject: RE: Congrats GMRCers!
Quote Reply

Admin

Rhondak101 - 2012-07-09 9:48 AM Today the 400th book was entered as read: Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness posted by jfranz

Hear her!  Hear her!  I like that we're up to 144 readers and 140 reviews too!  AND we're only halfway through the year.  Well beyond our expectations.  Consider this a virtual high-five!

Emil
Posted 2012-07-10 2:01 AM (#3678 - in reply to #3673)
Subject: Re: Congrats GMRCers!
Quote Reply

Uber User

It's an awesome rocket-ride!
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-10 4:04 AM (#3680 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

tCongrats to everyone involved,and many thanks to th dmin who hve worked so hard to make this a fabulous site.I>ts going from strength to strength
DrNefario
Posted 2012-07-10 7:43 AM (#3682 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Uber User

And no-one has finished yet, surprisingly. There are a few people on 10 and a few on 9, and that's it.

(I say we should shun the overachievers ;-) )

I was trying to space them out, at one a month, but I've fallen behind thanks to this year's Hugo ballot.
JamesVirgil
Posted 2012-07-10 8:06 AM (#3685 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Its a great idea. Its been fun to mix in some classics with my other reading.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-10 4:40 PM (#3697 - in reply to #3685)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Dear me! Dr Nefario wants to shun the overachievers.Only here for 6 weeks and already someone wants to send me to Coventry.....sigh......
ILikeMaps
Posted 2012-07-11 8:38 AM (#3713 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Thank you ADMINS - This has been (I mean is) fun and it gives me some incentive to read some of the classic books that I haven't gotten around to. Although It might be a little early, but would love to have another reading challenge in 2013 (maybe SF/Fantasy Masterworks? )

Administrator
Posted 2012-07-11 9:36 AM (#3714 - in reply to #3713)
Quote Reply

Admin

ILikeMaps - 2012-07-11 8:38 AM Thank you ADMINS - This has been (I mean is) fun and it gives me some incentive to read some of the classic books that I haven't gotten around to. Although It might be a little early, but would love to have another reading challenge in 2013 (maybe SF/Fantasy Masterworks? )

Thank you for your participation.  I think many GMRC readers are catching up on those classics they've missed.  I certainly am.  Finally going to Philip Jose Farmer!

As for next year's challenge we're leaning towards the same format, 12/12/6, but using the Guardian list for book selections.  It's one of the more challenging lists on the site with many books that push the traditional boundaries of SF/F but also enough genre classics for folks that want to stay in the genre sweet spot.

Nothing is written in stone yet and the SF/Fantasy Masterworks would make a good challenge too.  Lots of time to consider alternatives for next year.

Emil
Posted 2012-07-11 2:58 PM (#3717 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Uber User

A highlight of the GMRC for me is Hothouse. Just to prove the point about those classics that would have otherwise been missed. I look forward to a continuing reading challenge, whichever way it's decided for next year. I'm sure my upcoming corporate retirement and pending farming activities will still allow time for my reading obsessions
ILikeMaps
Posted 2012-07-11 6:24 PM (#3719 - in reply to #3714)
Quote Reply

Guardian list? -- umm (takes a quick break and quickly follows the link, cause that is a list he hasn't heard of before),    works for me

Actually I was just expressing my encourgement to you guys to do another one next year.  What you choose is of lesser importantance because I have every confidence that you know far more about the book lists than I.

Thanks Again

justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-07-12 9:31 AM (#3727 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Uber User

The Guardian list (or Grauniad as it's know in the UK for it's frequent typos) would be most interesting I've only read half of them and have 9 on my TBR.
alchymyst
Posted 2012-07-17 10:13 PM (#3773 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

I just joined a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it! There are a few GMs I have not read at all, and this is a good way for me to 'discover' them.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-20 3:32 PM (#3839 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Hi, alchemist,thank you for joining us! This is such a good group,with so many good lists,the blogs etc.And may I say I just read your fabulous review of Farmer's book,and it sadly confirmed my impressions of Farmer as style over substance who has dated rather badly.Oh well,lots more fish in the sea!
alchymyst
Posted 2012-07-22 10:58 PM (#3852 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Just wanted to say that I didn't write the review of Farmer's book, that was Jeremy Frantz (jfrantz).
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-23 1:49 AM (#3858 - in reply to #3852)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Oops,apologies to Alchymyst and Jeremy for mixing you up.I see The Forever War is one of your favourites.I have just finished it and am digesting it,but its not quite what I was expecting.More later,probably.Rushing off now to collect my 3 year old granddaughter from 8 miles away,and will have her all day,probably others too,since its now the long summer school holidays.Computers and reading have to take a back seat in the chaos! lol
jfrantz
Posted 2012-08-02 10:35 PM (#3907 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Oh, I'm very behind the times here, but I'll just add that this has been my favorite challenge of the year by far! I really like the idea of a different list for next year's challenge too. And though it doesn't have much to do with me, I'll count the 400th review as a feather in my cap ;-)
Administrator
Posted 2012-08-02 11:42 PM (#3909 - in reply to #3907)
Quote Reply

Admin

@jfrantz:  This is my favorite challenge too.  Certainly you can stake a claim on helping us get to over 400 books read and 163 GMRC reviews!

Speaking of reviews, we lost a July review in the move to the new blog so I restarted the GMRC July Review Poll to be fair to everyone.  If you voted before, you'll have to go back and vote again in the new poll.

Thanks to everyone for all the great support!

JamesVirgil
Posted 2012-09-05 11:55 AM (#4107 - in reply to #3669)
Quote Reply

Finally finished my challenge with The Dispossed by LeGuin. Now I'm trying to fill in the holes for the other Grandmasters that I haven't read yet. This has been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to tackling the Guardian list next year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)