open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I read, and, in reading, lifted the Curtains of the Impossible, that blind the mind, and looked out into the unknown." -- William Hope Hodgson, The House on the Borderland
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

Award Winning Books by Women
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-05-08 9:58 AM (#5029)
Subject: Award Winning Books by Women

Uber User

The list is missing books from the Stoker and Shirley Jackson Award lists.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-08 11:01 PM (#5031 - in reply to #5029)
Subject: RE: Award Winning Books by Women

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2013-05-08 9:58 AM The list is missing books from the Stoker and Shirley Jackson Award lists.

Right you are!  We missed 7 books from Stoker, SJ and Locus YA.  They've been added to the list.  The sorting on that list is a bit wonky.  I'll have Chris look at tweaking that.  Should be by date of publication though it might be more helpful to change the sort to alpha by author with a secondary sort by title.

Here are the books that were added:

Dead in the Water Zombie Children of the Dusk The Missing Audrey's Door Generation Loss Witches on the Road Tonight

Thanks for pointing out the omissions!

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-05-09 12:32 PM (#5034 - in reply to #5029)
Subject: Re: Award Winning Books by Women

Uber User

You're welcome.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-01-26 12:56 AM (#6232 - in reply to #5029)

Uber User

The list is missing the women winners of the Mythopoeic award, 27 books as follows:

• A Woman of the Iron People by Eleanor Arnason
  • Flesh and Spirit by Carol Berg
  • The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
  • The Djinn in the Nightingale's Eye by A. S. Byatt
  • Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant
  • When Voiha Wakes by Joy Chant
  • Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
  • The Uncertain Places by Lisa Goldstein
  • Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand
  • The Firelings by Carol Kendall
  • Thomas the Rhymer by Ellen Kushner
  • Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord
  • Solstice Wood by Patricia A. McKillip
  • Ombria in Shadow by Patricia A. McKillip
  • Something Rich and Strange by Patricia A. McKillip
  • Sunshine by Robin McKinley
  • The Porcelain Dove by Delia Sherman
  • The Innamorati by Midori Snyder
  • The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
  • The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart
  • The Orphan's Tales:  In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente
  • Digger by Ursula Vernon
  • The Song of Rhiannon by Evangeline Walton
  • Lifelode by Jo Walton
  • The Wood Wife by Terri Windling
  • Briar Rose by Jane Yolen
  • Cards of Grief by Jane Yolen

Additionally, there are some other errors & omissions:

Still missing from the list from when the women Stoker winners were added:

• Dread in the Beast by Charlee Jacob

When the 2011 BFS winner was officially changed to No Award, this change was reflected in WWE db for the BFS award but not for the Award Winning Books by Women Authors list.

• REMOVE:  Demon Dance by Sam Stone

When Connie Willis won the 2011 Hugo award for Blackout, this was properly reflected in the WWE db for the Hugo award by identifying Blackout as having won the award, but not it's companion book, All Clear.  However, both books were added to the Award Winning Books by Women Authors list when in fact only Blackout should have been added.

• REMOVE:  All Clear by Connie Willis

There should be 109 books in the list after these changes have been made.

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-26 7:29 AM (#6241 - in reply to #6232)

Admin

So it turns out that the Award Winning Books by Women Authors list does not automatically update when we add a new award to the site, which why none of the Mythopoeic Award books made it on.  I could have sworn that it did

I've updated the description to include the Mytho in the awards covered by the list and added (and subtracted) all the books indicated on Engelbrecht's list.  The total comes to 106 now.  Three books were already on the list from other award wins:  Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Thomas the Rhymer and Ombria in Shadow.  We missed Dread in the Beast by Charlee Jacob because we had her mislabeled as a male author!  That's been fixed now too.

The display order is out of whack right now and will need some coding changes from whargoul to get it all sorted properly but they're all in there at least.

Thanks, Engelbrecht, for finding those errors so we could correct them!  I'll post here again when the sorting is rectified.

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-26 9:59 AM (#6244 - in reply to #5029)

Uber User

The list now includes Doris Lessing's "Briefing for Descent into Hell" which is not an award winner, unless you're tracking the Nobel Prize.

It also includes Jane Yolen's "Cards of Grief" which was a nominee for the Mythopoetic not a winner.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2014-01-26 10:04 AM
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-26 2:17 PM (#6247 - in reply to #6244)

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2014-01-26 9:59 AM The list now includes Doris Lessing's "Briefing for Descent into Hell" which is not an award winner, unless you're tracking the Nobel Prize. It also includes Jane Yolen's "Cards of Grief" which was a nominee for the Mythopoetic not a winner.

I fat fingered the novel ID for Red Moon and Black Mountain (4353) with Briefing (4354).  It's fixed now.  I took out Cards of Grief too.  Perhaps between the 3 of us we'll get it all corrected   Thanks guys!

Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-01-26 10:44 PM (#6249 - in reply to #5029)

Uber User

I hadn't noticed that three of the Mythopoeic women winners were already represented by virtue of having won other awards - thanks for catching that.

On Cards of Grief, it is in fact a Mythopoeic winner:

Official Mythopoeic Awards list

Locus db Mythopoeic Awards 1985

Wikipedia Mythopoeic Awards

In the WWE db, the book is incorrectly marked as only a Mythopoeic nominee despite the fact that it correctly displays in the winners position when viewing the Mythopoeic award list:

WWE Mythopoeic award

I suspect that correcting this will also correct a different error that had confounded me, the fact that the totals of the Mythopoeic award winners as per the "My Reading Stats" recap is out of balance.  The total per the recap is 37 winners whereas the actual number of winners is 38.

So, once Cards of Grief is changed from a nominee to a winner and reinstated to the list, things should be sorted!  

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-26 10:56 PM (#6250 - in reply to #6249)

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2014-01-26 10:44 PM I suspect that correcting this will also correct a different error that had confounded me, the fact that the totals of the Mythopoeic award winners as per the "My Reading Stats" recap is out of balance.  The total per the recap is 37 winners whereas the actual number of winners is 38.

So, once Cards of Grief is changed from a nominee to a winner and reinstated to the list, things should be sorted!  

Ah!  Very nice.  Thanks for the research.  We had it in the no. 1 position but forgot to throw the switch to mark it a winner.  NOW it is all sorted.... until someone else finds another problem anyway

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-27 9:39 AM (#6251 - in reply to #6250)

Uber User

Well....Cards of Grief is not showing a list number for being on the Award Winning Books by Women list.

It's also missing for "When Voiha Awakes", "The Firelings", "The Hollow Hills" ,"The Song of Rhiannon", "The Porcelain Dove" and a whole bunch more.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2014-01-27 9:45 AM
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-27 10:37 AM (#6252 - in reply to #6251)

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2014-01-27 9:39 AM Well....Cards of Grief is not showing a list number for being on the Award Winning Books by Women list. It's also missing for "When Voiha Awakes", "The Firelings", "The Hollow Hills" ,"The Song of Rhiannon", "The Porcelain Dove" and a whole bunch more.

Yeah, that one I was aware of. There is a process that I have to run to update the list and award numbers across the site.  I'll kick that off at lunch today.

Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-02-18 12:30 AM (#6499 - in reply to #5029)

Uber User

G. Willow Wilson's Alif the Unseen, winner of the 2013 WFA should be added.  I was so disappointed in this selection that I hadn't recorded it in my spreadsheet until now, which is why I hadn't noticed it earlier - sorry! 
Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-05-02 5:02 AM (#7479 - in reply to #5029)

Uber User

Leckie's Ancillary Justice needs to be added.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2014-05-13 12:38 AM (#7617 - in reply to #5029)

Uber User

Bump 
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-05-13 2:21 AM (#7620 - in reply to #5029)

Uber User

Mary Rickert needs to be added to the database, y'all. She's won the WFA more than once and has been nominated for lots of other SF/F awards. (I'm assuming for short stories and collections. Her first full length novel was released this week, as was a novella from Tor.)
Administrator
Posted 2014-05-13 9:13 AM (#7625 - in reply to #7620)

Admin

FeminineFantastique - 2014-05-13 2:21 AM Mary Rickert needs to be added to the database, y'all. She's won the WFA more than once and has been nominated for lots of other SF/F awards. (I'm assuming for short stories and collections. Her first full length novel was released this week, as was a novella from Tor.)

Mary Rickert

Administrator
Posted 2014-05-13 9:15 AM (#7626 - in reply to #7479)

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2014-05-02 5:02 AM Leckie's Ancillary Justice needs to be added.

Done deal.  Thanks for the reminder!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)